Architecture graduates recognized as Distinguished Alumni
Posted: October 20, 2008, 8:00 am
A team of School of Architecture Alumni was recognized at The University of Texas at Arlington’s 2008 Distinguished Alumni Gala, presented on October 11 at the campus’s Bluebonnet Ballroom.
Azroei Ahmad and Mohd. Zamberi Kusa received the Team Award in recognition of their contributions to architecture in their native country of Malaysia and worldwide as the driving force behind Azarch Interiors. Azarch is a large professional practice with offices in Kuala Lumpur, Dubai, New Delhi and in Kazakhstan. Ahmad serves as chief executive officer and Kusa as chief operations officer. They represent more than forty-five Malaysian graduates of the School of Architecture from the late ‘80s and early ‘90s who studied architecture under the sponsorship of the Malaysian government. It was an experiment that fulfilled its intent—to train young architects in the United States so they would return and contribute to the rapid development of Malaysia.
Ahmad and Kusa are graduates of the School of Architecture, both receiving bachelor’s degrees in 1991 and master’s degrees in 1993. Ahmad is a registered architect with the Board of Architects in Malaysia and a member of the Malaysian Institute of Architects. Kusa is a graduate member of the Malaysian Institute of Architects. Both have completed works in Kuala Lumpur, Havana, Beijing, London, and Kazakhstan, with ongoing works in Dubai, Tripoli, New Delhi, and Islamabad.
UT Arlington’s annual Distinguished Alumni Gala recognizes outstanding alumni for their individual achievements, contributions to their industry or profession and service to The University of Texas at Arlington. The Distinguished Alumni Award is the highest honor given by the University and Alumni.
ACCEPTANCE SPEECH, 2008 DISTINGUISHED ALUMNI TEAM AWARD, DISTINGUISHED ALUMNI GALA
We are extremely pleased and deeply honored to receive the 2008 Distinguished Alumni Award. We would like to take this opportunity to express our utmost appreciation to UTA and the Distinguished Alumni Gala Committee for honoring us.
We would also like to thank Dr. Judy Young who has been like a mother to us. She has continued to bridge UTA and us for the last fifteen years. You are indeed a very special person in our lives.
Our special gratitude to the UTA School of Architecture Dean Donald Gatzke, Professor Todd Hamilton and the entire faculty. This award is dedicated to all of you and to more than forty-five Malaysian graduates who you have greatly influenced.
To Professor Richard Ferrier, we know you are reading this speech, and we can never thank you enough for always being there for us. You have been more than a lecturer during our days at UTA; you were a father and you will always be.
We are very grateful to the UTA School of Architecture for making us work so hard during our school days and making us so “Architecture” that we have to continue to work and could not even be here to accept the award!
Ladies and Gentlemen…
This prestigious award comes at an auspicious time, virtually at the time of our ongoing project presentations to the Government of Khazakstan for a prestigious Conference Center, Hotel and Business Center in its capital city in Astana. It’s even more meaningful as the project is targeted for a ministerial summit of Organization of Security and Cooperation of Europe (OSCE) in 2010 of which Astana would be the host. We humbly share this with you tonight as we always believe that our success is contributed by the outstanding education and intellectual inspiration we received at UTA.
Tonight, even though we are not here, we could feel the joy in the air. Tonight, our spirits take part in this celebration. History is being made in our lives. We are being honored from a far away place, from a place that is so close to our hearts.
Finally, our regrets and sincerest apologies for not being here, and please accept our many thanks to everyone in this room. Because of you, the light of our relationship will always burn brightly, and together we will continue to carry UTA with honor and pride to every part of the world.
Thank you so much to all of you. Thank God, and please enjoy the rest of the evening.
Azroei Ahmad & Mohd Zamberi Kusa
- UT Arlington students recognized by Texas ASLA
- Bang Dang: Picturing "Home-for-All"
- TEX-FAB project honored by AIA Houston
- Professors Reeves, MacDonald, and Quevedo’s Work Selected for Conference Presentation
- Bell to speak at fabrication tech conference
- KERA features Dye and the Cedars Open Studios
- Cantrell featured at the Dallas Center for Architecture
- Award-winning design team includes UTA's Thad Reeves
- Baum Recognized with American Architecture Award
- Holliday named to AIA Dallas editorial advisory board
- UTA Graduate Design Studio wins 72 Hour Build a Better Boulevard Challenge
- Landscape Architecture Director Cited for Service to Scholarly Society
- Distinguished members of the School of Architecture retiring
- Landscape Architecture's David Hopman discusses green roof projects
- Architecture graduate and endurance swimmer profiled in Dallas Morning News
- In Memoriam - Hal Box (1929-2011)
- Graduate student profiled by UT Arlington campus paper
- Landscape Architecture students win ASLA design competition
- D Magazine reports on Professor Buckley's community panel
- Local news site praises Architecture Professor Dye presentation
- Arlington benefits from Urban Design Center
- Student designs honored by AIA Fort Worth
- Landscape Architecture Alum's skills featured in magazine
- AIA Architect Magazine focuses on new Certificate Program
- Landscape Architecture students win design competition
- Holliday Presents Lecture at NYC's Skyscraper Museum
- David Dillon Memorial Scholarship Announced
- In memoriam - Richard B. Ferrier, FAIA
- Architecture grads receive honorable mention in design competition
- Architecture grad interviews President Bill Clinton
- Michael Buckley profiled in D Magazine
- UTA Shorthorn notes Landscape Architecture rating
- In memoriam - Professor Marian Millican
- Landscape Architecture at UT Arlington Ranked in Top 20
- The Getty Sketchbooks
- Book by Architecture Professor Holliday Wins Award
- UT Arlington offers new Certificate in Property Repositioning and Turnaround Strategies
- UT Arlington Participates in AIA Retrospect
- Dye receives Honor Award for architecture course
- UT Arlington Alumnus wins Gabriel Prize
- Dean featured on TCU's Design Talk Radio
- Dean Gatzke featured on KERA's "Think"
- TEX FILES ISSUE 02 available
- Dallas Morning News: "Dallas architects win honors for outstanding designs"
- Maruszczak wins theoretical White House design competition
- Architecture graduates recognized as Distinguished Alumni
- Ferrier wins design award
- Baum wins residential design award
- Landscape Architecture Professor publishes book on urban design
- Baum recognized as designer, educator
- Dean featured on TCU's Design Talk Radio
- Architecture Students' Work Displayed at Finnish Embassy
- UT Arlington Architecture featured in new DMA Center
- UT Arlington School of Architecture ranked second regionally by Design Intelligence
- UT Arlington features work of noted architect A. L. Aydelott in exhibition
- Architecture Dean Honored by AIA Fort Worth
- Architecture staffer publishes memoir
- Firm led by UTA alum Ralph Hawkins opens Arlington office
- UTA Shorthorn features Architecture staffer
- UTA Alumnus editor of bold new architectural journal
- In memorium - Richard Dodge, former acting dean
- Program Director Selected as Outstanding Administrator
- Architecture professor and students participate in community beacon of hope
- In memoriam - Dean Emeritus George S. Wright
- Architecture student's work featured in photographic exhibit
- Dean featured in Star Telegram article
- Interior Design Professor Recognized by Real Estate Industry
- Interior Design student named inaugural scholarship winner
- Boles named Interim Program Director
- Landscape Architecture Director Receives Second International Award
- Architecture Staffer to be published by St. Martin's Press
- School of Architecture Involved in New Orleans Recovery Project
- Architecture Dean quoted in Dallas Observer
- Fourth Largest Architectural/Engineering Firm Headed by UTA Alumnus
- Award winning student design featured in Italian exhibit
- Dallas Houses Featured in Major Spanish Architectural Journal
- Rusher selected for journal contribution
- UT Arlington Alum Named Associate Principal
- Architecture Dean elected to statewide board
- Architecture Professor Designs Tree House for Arboretum Exhibit
- UTA Alumnus and Advisory Council member named CEO of the Year
- UT Arlington concludes successful summer design program
- Whatley Featured in Sculpture Exhibit
- Interior Design students win wallcovering award
- In memoriam - Professor Andrzej Pinno
- Dean serves on AIA-NY Design Awards Jury
- High School Students Study Art and Architecture
- School of Architecture Hosts Award Winning Film and Director
- Local Firm Hosts UTA Architecture Night
- Next Generation Design Institute
- F&S Partners Hires UT Arlington Grad
- Dean's Advisory Council Member Recognized
- Book of student essays now available
- Kunkel named ASCE Fellow
- Baum featured in publications
- Robinette named CELA Fellow
- Landscape Architecture Re-accredited
- Architecture students honored during Academic Excellence Week
- Pat Taylor Recognized by CELA
- Students win New Orleans design competition
- Jane Ahrens chosen for Green Advantage program
- Students' designs chosen in GreenStop competition