Mi Hyun Kim

Mi Hyun Kim

Visual Communication
Senior Lecturer
M.F.A., The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
FA-347B
mihyun@uta.edu
www.mihyunkim.com

I was born and raised in Seoul, South Korea and currently live and work in Arlington, Texas.

As a graphic designer, artist, educator and maker I have always been interested in the relationships between binary pairs; eastern and western, art and design, and you and I. The in-between spaces are often hidden, secretive and few people pay much attention to them. For the past 10 years I have been teaching Graphic Design, specializing in typography, web typography, interactive design and icon/symbol making. After leaving University of Masschusetts Dartmouth I found full time employment the North Georgia College and State University where I had a wonderful experience designing Identity Systems of Univeresity Press of North Georgia and their first book: Billy Roper: Visual Storyteller. Currently, I have been teaching Visual Communications (Graphic Design) at the University of Texas at Arlington since 2010. Working mostly work with juniors and seniors in the program, I have also been a faculty advisor of the incredible and talented AIGA UTA student visual communication group. We create design events, annual design competitions, bring in guest speakers, hold workshops and help new Visual Communication students settle into the program. Through the experience I get to work closely with students and it helps keep my eyes opened to other design resources. This also helps me to better understand and provide for my students' needs.

In 2009, I began learning creative coding using the software Processing which is a Java programming language used within a visual context. It was one of the most challenging and eye-opening experiences I have had as a Graphic Designer. It has made me explore and rethink design systems and examine the relationships between mathematics, science, art. Creative coding helps me to form a bridge between these displines. Although I am primarily a digital artist, I love to make things with my hands. This allows me to merge technology with more analogue processes such as printmaking, photography, drawing and painting. In my practice I expand my ability to use code to create generative design and to visualize data to tell stories. 

I have been fortunate to have my works been awarded and travel throughout the world. My work was included in the VII International Triennial of Eco-Poster The 4th Block—Award of Participation in Ukraine, 2nd Biennial International Bookart Juried Exhibition—3rd Prize, The 37th UCDA Design Competition—Award of Excellence, and In Transition Russia 2008—Best of Show. One of my artist books—Typography as Storytelling—is in permanent Lonsford Collection at Purdue University. Also, one of my "i had a dream" posters is in the permeant collection at Denmark Poster Museum. 

I would like to continue to explore in-between spaces and to be able to reveal their beauty.

Works

My Locations I had a dream I, II, III Einstein's Dreams Dancing Alphabets Language Confusion