Tore Terrasi

Tore Terrasi

Tore Terrasi

Foundations
Assistant Professor
M.F.A., University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
FA-298
toreterrasi@uta.edu

On a broad scale I draw from Graphic Design, Fine Arts, Music, and Literature. More specifically my work is informed by and refers to contemporary experimental and ornamental typography, contemporary layout, poster, and package design, modern period fine art and architecture, early to mid 20th century poetry and philosophy, video art, all forms of animation, early 20th century classical and contemporary music, as well as my everyday experiences.

However, the single overarching element uniting all my creative influences and referents is that of words. That is to say the written and implied forms of texts and the visual aesthetics of typography and design, has yielded especially fertile ground for my amalgamations. My ambitions as a communicator is to reconsider the conventional patterns of experiencing text and images by exploring the aesthetic and conceptual dimensions of words and language.

As I redefine and reinterpret trends in these often segregated fields of creative activity I find that my style of hybridizing and genre crossing not only explores literary and aesthetic sensibilities but accounts for a strong component of technical and conceptual innovation. This is where my work differs from concrete poets or graphic designers. A bridge between Design, Art, and poetry pervades between these disciplines as the distinctive qualities of each become more ambiguous and contingent on the others."

Tore Terrasi received a Masters of Fine Arts in Visual Design from the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth and his work and performances have been nationally and internationally exhibited. Prior to joining the faculty at the University of Texas at Arlington, Terrasi held positions at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, Bridgewater State University, Rhode Island College, Lasell College, Emmanuel College, and the Community College of Rhode Island, teaching a wide range of courses in graphic design, typography, digital art, and animation.