Sydney Webb

Area:
Intermedia
Undergrad:
Herron School of Art and Design
sydney.webb@mavs.uta.edu
sydwebbstudios.com

Student Bio

Born in rural Indiana, I spent the majority of my childhood wondering around outside and in my parents printshop. I earned my BFA in Printmaking in 2010 from Herron School of Art and Design, Magna Cum Laude. Upholding the family tradition, I currently use print in a variety of ways to discuss ecology, climate change, and their roles in the future of humanity. 

Artist Statement

Like many midwesterners, my childhood surroundings were vast wooded spaces and rolling fields. I treated these spaces as sacred untouched places of natural beauty and mystery. As my life progressed I moved to more and more urban spaces. Living and working in these areas has forced me question what nature is. At first I thought I had to seek out nature, that it was something outside the boundaries of urban living, and could only be found in parks or preserves or in my sacred view of home. It occurred to me that this view of being outside of nature causes us to treat it with indifference and negative action. By understanding the true reality of nature, that we are within it and products of it, we can begin to build lifestyles that operate under the umbrella of ecology. This work seeks to create connections to natural beauty in the hopes that we might begin to recognize its place in our everyday.