MFA : MFA Application Requirements
Please make sure all three steps are complete when applying
Step 1: Graduate School Application
- Please see their requirements to apply: http://grad.pci.uta.edu/prospective/apply/
- A completed Graduate School application form (www.applytexas.org) with an indication of a major area of concentration, sent to the Graduate School + payment of the application fee.
A non-refundable application evaluation charge is required of all applicants. Payment must be received before processing can begin. There are no exceptions to this policy.
USA applicants: A non-refundable evaluation charge of $40 is required of all U.S. citizens and U.S. Resident Alien applicants who have completed all of their college or university work at institutions located in the United States. A $70 evaluation charge is required of all U.S. citizens and U.S. Resident Alien applicants who have completed undergraduate coursework at an institution located outside of the United States.Transcripts Sent by Mail to:
Office of Graduate Studies
UTA Box 19167
701 S Nedderman Dr
Davis Hall, Room 333
Arlington, Texas 76019 USA
Step 2: Slideroom Application
Is the new online application submission. Paper applications will no longer accepted.
In order to apply, you must have a Slideroom account at https://utaart.slideroom.com/. The Slideroom application does require a fee of $10-$12.
- Before you start the online application process, using Slideroom, you will be asked to select a Program of Study. These include: Film Video, Glass, Studio Intermedia, and Visual Communication. Information regarding each area can be found under “More Areas” here: http://www.uta.edu/art/index.php/mfa/.
- A statement of purpose, outlining why the applicant wishes to pursue graduate work in the visual arts. Studio Intermedia applicants should address the potential for their future work within an intermedia context.
- Current copy of the applicant's resume
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- An email will be sent to the provided references. The email will contain a link allowing your references to enter a letter of recommendation via a private online portal. You will receive a confirmation email when they complete their recommendation. Please alert your recommenders to look for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A portfolio.
- You may upload 15 slides of recent work that best presents the applicant's work; along with a list of those works by title, date, medium and size.
- Film applicants, within category slide decal, please list your involvement in the details area within Slideroom.
Step 3: Send Transcripts to MFA Director, Nancy Palmeri
+ One official or copy of all transcripts from all colleges or universities attended (this is to be sent directly to the MFA advisor, which is SEPARATE from the Graduate School)Please mail required documents to:
Nancy Palmeri - MFA Advisor
Art + Art History Department
Fine Arts Building Room 335
502 S. Cooper St. Arlington, TX 76019
Basic Application Requirements
Below are the basic application requirements for the Master of Fine Arts program at the University of Texas Arlington Art + Art History Department. If you have any questions regarding these requirements, please do not hesitate to contact our Graduate advisor/coordinator Nancy Palmeri.
- Standards To be admitted as a graduate student in the M.F.A. program, the applicants must meet the following requirements: A bachelor's degree from a college or university accredited by the cognizant regional accrediting agency. Undergraduate preparation in the proposed major field equivalent to that acquired by a graduate of the University of Texas at Arlington, or evidence of an appropriate background for undertaking an advanced degree program. An undergraduate average of a B (3.0) or higher in the junior and senior years.
- Statement to UTA graduates If a University of Texas at Arlington graduate chooses to apply, he/she will be given the same consideration and will be judged by the same standards as all other applicants.
- Advancement to Candidacy Admission to graduate study does not imply admission to candidacy for an advanced degree.
- The Application Process An application for admission must include all the following: the absence of any one of these requirements will constitute an incomplete application, which will not be processed by the Graduate Studies Committee of the department.
International Students: All international students applying to the graduate program must meet the same level of achievement as U.S. Students. In addition, international students entering the Graduate School must demonstrate proficiency (please review UTA graduate school policy) in written and oral English at the time of their enrollment. Those who do not meet the minimum requirements must satisfactorily complete courses in the ESOL area.
International applicants: All international students are required to pay a non-refundable $70 application evaluation charge.
The Art and Art History Department requires that a signed Statement of Resources form accompany the application of all international students. Check with the Graduate School for current requirements.
If the applicant wishes to apply for a graduate teaching assistantship, a student whose native language is not English must submit an acceptable score (45 or higher) on the TSE. An applicant who is a non-native speaker of English and who may wish to be considered for an assistantship should take the TSE before arriving in the United States and have the official scores sent to UT Arlington. Assistantship applicants who are holding a degree from a US college or university and who are non-native speakers of English are NOT exempt from this requirement.