the spring of 1907, a group of commerce students at the University of
Wisconsin received permission from the faculty to organize a commerce
honor society which they called Beta Gamma Sigma. The purpose of the
society was to encourage and reward scholarship and accomplishment in
the field of business studies among commerce students at the University.
At about the same time, students at the University of Illinois and the
University of California felt the need for such an organization on their
campuses and respectively organized Delta Kappa Chi (1910) and The
Economics Club (1906). In 1913, having become aware of their coexistence
and common purpose, representatives of the three societies met at
Madison, Wisconsin, to consummate a merger which made Beta Gamma Sigma
into a national organization.
Action was initiated in
1919 to establish Beta Gamma Sigma as the only scholastic honor society
recognized by the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business
(AACSB). This organization, renamed the association to Academic
Collegiate School of Business, International in 2001, includes in its
membership collegiate schools of business which meet high
standards of eligibility required of accredited member
institutions with respect to curricula, teaching staff, teaching loads,
library and laboratory facilities. Beta Gamma Sigma amended its
constitution in 1921 to restrict the installation of new chapters to
collegiate schools of business which are accredited members of AACSB.
Currently, there are more than 468 chapters and 580,000 members
throughout the world.
The Beta Gamma Sigma
chapter at UT Arlington held its inaugural member induction in 1970.
Currently, over 3500 of the best and brightest students in the
College of Business have become members. Since the 1994-95 academic year
both Fall and Spring semester inductions have been held. In addition to
students, the chapter has initiated numerous faculty members and
several executives have been inducted as honorary members.