Undergraduate Business Internships - Policies and Procedures
Eligible students to participate in internship for credit include:
- UTA undergraduate juniors and seniors with a declared major in the College of Business and
- With a minimum overall GPA of 2.5 and
- Who have 3 hours available in advanced business electives.
- Some major areas have additional eligibility requirements. Please see a business advisor for more information.
- The Undergraduate Internship Packet must be completed by the student and approved by the student's department internship coordinator. (Students must secure an Undergraduate Internship Packet from the Business Advising Center, Business Building, Suite 107, or on the Business Undergraduate Advising website before the application deadline.)
Before the deadline shown on the face of the packet, the student must do the following:
- Complete Form 1 and turn it into the drop box in the front office of the Business Advising Center, Business Building, Suite 107. The student's degree plan will be reviewed for available advanced business elective hours. When Form 1 has been processed, it will be available for pick-up in the top drawer of the two-drawer filing cabinet in the front office of the Business Advising Center, Business Building, Suite 107.
- No credit will be given for previous experience or activities.
- Maximum credit is 3 hours per student and must be major/concentration related.
- Internship applies as an advanced business elective only.
- All forms must be completed before a student may register for the course and before the activities for which credit is requested have begun.
- Internships are graded pass/fail.
- Note to accounting majors: The Texas State Board of Public Accountancy requires completion of 12 hours of 3000/4000 level accounting prior to internship.
- The student should next obtain an internship. Internships will be for Spring, Fall or the 11-week Summer semesters only.
- When the student has obtained an internship, they should then fill out Form 2, Request for Internship Registration. The student should take Forms 1 and 2 to their major department internship coordinator. The internship coordinators for the different majors are listed along with their contact information on the face of the internship packet. The internship coordinator will approve or deny the student to receive the 3 credit hours for the internship. Form 2 must be filled out before the student may register for the course and before the activities for which credit is requested have begun.
- If approved for credit, the major department internship coordinator will give the student Form 3, Informal Agreement, to complete. When the student returns the completed Form 3 to the coordinator, enrollment information will be given to the student. International students must attach a CPT Form to Form 3 in order to enroll.
- Must work a minimum of 240 hours during the semester (work approximately 22 hours/week for the 11-week summer semester)
- Payment to student for work is not required
- Keep a daily diary of work activities
- Write a paper relating class studies to internship experience
- Employer appraisal
- Grade is pass/fail
Need More Information on Internships? Please see...