Campus plumbing networks require maintenance and repair. These networks may contain acid solutions, chlorine, raw sewage, chemically treated HVAC discharge and water.
- Identify contents, direction and volume of flow.
- Measures should be taken to isolate the problem as quickly as possible and initiate repairs. Identify type of pipe and insulation prior to cutting or grinding.
- Precaution should be taken to prevent accidental releases of gasses or liquids from the system.
- Accidental releases should be contained and recovered to the greatest extent possible by qualified staff or contractor and disposed of or reclaimed in an appropriate manner. Notify Facilities Management 272-2000 and EH&S 272-2185 of any accidental releases.
Document actions taken.
- Verify integrity of repairs prior to putting the system back in service.
- Appropriate spill containment should be readily available at the job site and employees trained in its use.