Water Use for Grounds Maintenance
10005. Water Use for Grounds Maintenance
Water is used to maintain plant growth at campuses for aesthetics, athletic fields, agricultural study areas and green houses.
- Use controlled watering techniques to avoid runoff.
- Water schedule should be set to avoid evaporation losses.
- Use drip irrigation where possible.
- Water delivery should be controlled to avoid over usage. Controls may include timed delivery devices and metered usage.
- Drought contingency plan should be developed to curtail use in appropriate stages relative to conditions. The plan should be conformed to current drought regulations.
Development of new athletic fields should consider drought regulations and incorporate plant species selection and watering technology to minimize water use.
- Upgrade existing watering systems to include timed and metered water delivery equipment.
- Use drought resistant plants when replanting or adding new plants.