Work with hazardous biological agents in research laboratories has expanded as new infectious agents and diseases have emerged. It is crucial to provide safe methods, facilities and equipment for managing infectious materials in the microbiological and biomedical laboratories where they are being handled or maintained. The risk assessment of the work to be done with a specific biohazard helps to determine the appropriate combination of all above mentioned elements to reduce or eliminate exposure of the laboratory staff, the community, and the environment to potentially harmful biological agents.
Training is a key requisite to guarantee the fundamental objective of biological safety programs to provide a safe and healthy environment for the campus community. UT Arlington EH&S offers training in general laboratory safety in bloodborne pathogens, in biosafety level 2 special practices, and gives support in the effort to adequately protect UT Arlington employees from occupational exposure and to achieve regulatory compliance with the Texas Department of State Health Services.
EH&S biological safety program also includes disposal of microbiological, animal, blood/other potentially infected materials waste, and sharps.
Environmental Health & Safety: 817-272-2185
Poison Control Center: 1-800-222-1222
- Biological Laboratory Safety Evaluation
- Hepatitis B Vaccine Waiver
- Human Pathogen Registration (HPR)
- Human Pathogen Registration Update
- Biosafety Level 2 (BSL-2) Commissioning Checklist
- Hepatitis B Vaccination/Hepatitis B Vaccine Waiver/Exemption
(Prerequisites for access to BSL-2 laboratories/handling human blood or other potentially infectious materials)
- Autoclave Waste Treatment Log
- Biological Indicator Test Results Log
Manuals and Guidelines
- Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Website
- Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories, 5th Edition (BMBL)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Website
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) Website
- American Biological Safety Association (ABSA) Website
- SAF-T PAK Website
- UT Arlington Research Administration Website
- US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Website