The University of Texas at Arlington

Undergraduate Catalog 1999-2001

Undergraduate Catalog Archive

Financial Aid

Many sources of student financial aid exist at The University of Texas at Arlington. Any interested student should apply for assistance each year, as eligibility can vary from one year to the next. Financial aid is generally limited to U.S. citizens or those in this country on other than a temporary visa. A minimum of half-time enrollment with the intent of obtaining a degree or certificate and the maintenance of satisfactory scholastic progress are required to participate in most aid programs. Students subject to selective service registration will be required to file a statement that the student has registered or is exempt from selective service registration to be eligible for federal financial aid. In addition, effective Jan. 1, 1998, the selective service requirement is also applicable to students applying for financial assistance funded by State revenue.

Unless otherwise noted in this section of the Catalog, financial aid is available through the Financial Aid Office in Room 252, Davis Hall, 817-272-3561. Information is also available on the financial aid web site:


The University of Texas at Arlington provides a variety of scholarship programs for students who have demonstrated exceptional academic achievement. In addition to the specific qualifications required for various competitive scholarships awarded by the University, the committee responsible for selection of a given scholarship may consider such factors as leadership, community involvement, and financial need in its selection process. These funds have been contributed by individual donors, U.T. Arlington alumni, corporations, government agencies and others to recognize and reward academic excellence. Detailed information about the scholarships offered through the University are contained in a brochure available in the Financial Aid Office. A self-directed national computer search service, College Fund Finder, developed by the College Board, is available to students in the Financial Aid Office. Additional information regarding local scholarships is also available.

Federal and State Programs

The University participates in most of the federal student financial aid programs offered through the U.S. Department of Education. In addition, several state and institutional programs are available for students with exceptional financial need. Among the programs in which the University participates are Federal Pell Grants, Federal Work-Study, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Stafford Loan, Federal PLUS and Texas Public Education Grants. Information regarding eligibility and application procedures for these programs is available from the Financial Aid Office.

Aid applicants may check the status of their financial aid applications on the Web at MyMav.

Assistance Based on Need: Students wishing to participate in any of the need-based student financial aid programs should complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as early as possible prior to their actual enrollment at the University. The awarding process requires 6-12 weeks for completion and is governed by the availability of funds. The FAFSA can be obtained from any local college or high school counselor.

Loans Not Based on Financial Need: Federal PLUS (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students) loans are available to parents to finance their dependents' educational costs. Application is made by filling out the U.T. Arlington PLUS application and a bank application. Although it is possible to apply for a loan through the PLUS program without applying for need-based financial aid, the student and parent should consider the PLUS as the last alternative for financing an education since its terms are not as attractive as the other forms of financial aid.

Students who are determined to be ineligible for federally subsidized loans may apply for unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans. Application is made by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and a bank application. Further information is available from the Financial Aid Office.

Financial Counseling

The Financial Aid Office provides financial or budgetary counseling for any and all students whether or not they qualify for other types of financial assistance. Please call the Financial Aid Office at 817-272-3561 for an appointment.

Out-of-State Student Assistance

Several states offer aid to their students attending schools in other states. Amounts and requirements for this assistance vary greatly. Information may be obtained from the Financial Aid Office or your state educational agency.

International Student Assistance

Students who are not eligible for federal financial assistance may apply for a Texas Public Education Grant (TPEG). Funding for the program is limited; applications for this grant for each academic year are available in the Financial Aid Office during the month of June. The deadline for submission of completed applications is July 1. Selection is based on need and academic performance. Recipients must be maintaining satisfactory scholastic progress and must pay out-of-state tuition to be eligible.

Emergency Tuition Loans

Funds are available to students who are unable to make the initial payment toward their registration fees. The only requirements are that students must be enrolled in at least one credit hour, have chosen the installment payment plan (except in summer sessions when the installment plan is not available), and must not have an outstanding previous semester Emergency Tuition Loan (ETL). Due to batch processing, prior semester ETLs must be paid off a minimum of one day before requesting another ETL. ETLs are available during specified times at the Emergency Tuition Loan Distribution Center, Main Level, University Center. For more information, call Bursar Services at 817-272-2172, visit our web site at, or refer to the Schedule of Classes published each semester.

Short-term Loans

The U.T. Arlington Alumni Association and other friends of the University have established loan funds to benefit continuing students who need temporary help to meet current expenses. These loans are available for amounts up to $500 and are to be repaid during the semester in which the money is borrowed. Undergraduate applicants must have completed at least 12 semester hours at U.T. Arlington with a minimum 2.0 GPA. Applicants in the Graduate School must have completed at least nine semester hours at U.T. Arlington with a minimum 3.0 GPA. Applications are available at the Bursar Services locations in Room 130, Davis Hall, and Main Level, University Center. For more information, call Bursar Services at 817-272-2172.

Student Employment Services

Located at the west entrance of the University Center, Student Employment Service can help students obtain suitable off-campus employment. The staff maintains daily communication with Metroplex employers who list thousands of jobs every year. Also, students who are eligible for college work-study can be referred to off-campus agencies which have jobs related to their majors.

Counselors advise students to plan at least four consecutive hours for a job, either in the morning or afternoon. In addition to the regular job referral service, the staff has information of continuous listings, summer camps, resorts, federal and state parks, and certain overseas summer employment opportunities.

Any persons currently enrolled or accepted for admission to U.T. Arlington, or their spouses, may use the service. For more information, call Student Employment Services at 817-272-2895.