Catalogs on the Web: Current
'06 - '07: Fall 2006 | '05-'06: Spring 2006, Fall 2005
'03-'05: Spring 2005, Fall 2004, Spring 2004, Fall 2003
2001-2003 | 1999-2001
Printed versions of earlier catalogs are available
in the University Archives.

Fall 2007

Tuition, Fees, and Charges

Tuition, fees, and charges are subject to change. Charges will be effective upon the date of enactment and will be reflected in tuition, fees, and charges assessed. Tuition, fees, and charges are authorized by state statute; however, the specific amounts and the determination to increase the fees and charges are made by The University of Texas at Arlington administration and The University of Texas System Board of Regents. Visit for current tuition, fees, and charges.

Tuition is charged based on course of study; therefore, a precise semester registration total may be calculated by accessing the Registration Cost Estimation site at

Undergraduate students who enrolled under the fall 1999 or subsequent catalogs will be required to pay non-Texas resident tuition rates when they exceed 45 hours more than is required for completion of the degree program for which the student is enrolled.

A Designated Tuition Discount will be given to students who meet ALL of the requirements published at

An On-Time Graduate Tuition Reduction will be given to students who meet ALL of the requirements published at

Failure to pay tuition, fees, and charges by the census date constitutes voluntary semester withdrawal resulting in the student’s financial responsibility for approximately 50 percent of their total registration.

Description of Tuition, Fees, and Charges

Tuition, fees, and charges are assessed to students based on semester credit hours (SCH), a set charge per semester, or specific services. They are required of all students, charged to everyone taking specific courses or anyone receiving specific services, or charged only for voluntary products or services. Refer to and choose Tuition, Fees, and Charges for a detailed description.

Other Fees, Charges, and Expenses

International Student Health Insurance

International students are required to purchase The University of Texas at Arlington Student Health Insurance Plan while enrolled at the University. Exceptions to this requirement are:

Proof of coverage and benefits provided must be documented and must be comparable to the University-sponsored plan. All policies under the three categories of exceptions must contain at least a $7,500 repatriation benefit and a $10,000 medical evacuation benefit. All policies must meet USIA regulations for those in "J" status. If coverage does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, supplemental policies covering those items will be made available.

Mav Express Card Features and Charges

The Mav Express Card is used for accessing controlled facilities, checking books from the Library, and for cashing checks at Bursar Services. In addition, it is used for admission to various University activities such as athletic events and for other situations where personal identification is required.

A student may choose to deposit money on the Mav Express Card. This debit feature is called Mav Money. Students may use Mav Money at Dining Services, Bursar Services, University Center, University Bookstore, vending machines and many other locations on and off campus. Deposits may be made and account activity reviewed online. In addition, a student may link a Mav Express Card to a free Wells Fargo checking account.

As noted under Tuition, Fees, and Charges, each student at UT Arlington is required to pay a $10 Mav Express Card activation charge for the fall, spring, and 11-week summer semesters. The 5-week summer session, Maymester, and Winter Session are $5 each.

The Mav Express Card is a permanent card. As a student registers for a semester, the card is automatically validated. It is not necessary to obtain an additional Mav Express Card unless the student loses or destroys the card. The replacement charge for a lost or destroyed card is $10.

For additional information, visit or call 817-272-2645.

Maverick Parking Garage

The optional parking garage is available at an additional per term charge, plus gate card deposit. Day and night passes are offered, however the official meeting time of all classes must be 5:30 p.m. or later to qualify for the night pass. Passes must be picked up at the garage and are only for parking in the garage. The garage is normally closed between terms. A parking permit must be purchased for parking elsewhere on campus. Contact the Maverick Parking Garage at 817-272-2370 for specific rates and availability.

Parking Permit Charge

All students who drive to a vehicle on campus, need a permit to enter or park legally on campus. Please order your permit online through the registration screen from your student service center on the web. All students who order their permit before the first day of class will be mailed their permit. The permit will be mailed to their current University mailing address. If students order their permit after the first day of class, they will need to pick up the permit at the University Police Parking Service Office, 1225 W. Mitchell, Suite 112. Hours of business are 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday, with the exception of registration periods. Students picking up dorm or rental property parking permit, must show proof of residency if they are not listed as primary resident.

If students withdraw from school any time before classes begin or before the census date, they must bring their permit to the Parking Office to receive a full/partial refund or mail the permit back by certified mail. If the permit is not returned, or if students lose or misplace the permit, a refund cannot be given. Each student will receive only ONE permit per fiscal year. If it becomes necessary to drive a different vehicle, the permit is transferable. However, the permit owner is responsible for all violations accrued by any vehicle that has their permit displayed. Students who terminate their enrollment prior to spring registration and who have paid a vehicle permit fee may receive a partial refund in accordance with the Rules and Regulations booklet provided they return their permit. No refunds on parking permits will be given after the spring census date for students. Ownership of the permit remains with the institution and is not transferable.

Students are responsible for picking up a copy or visiting the Web site for the Rules and Regulations booklet that contains campus parking policies. For additional parking information or hours of extended service during registration, call 817-272-3907 or visit the Web site

Graduation Charges

A graduation charge must be paid by each baccalaureate degree candidate when application is made for graduation. If graduation is delayed past the stated semester, the student must reapply for graduation and repay the graduation charge. An additional charge to cover the cost of cap and gown is assessed to each candidate who plans to attend any graduation ceremony. Students who request that their diplomas be mailed after graduation will be required to pay the first class mailing cost.

Cost of Books

Cost of books depends upon the courses selected. Generally, books for technical subjects are somewhat higher than those for other academic subjects. In certain technical, scientific and fine arts fields, there are extra expenses for equipment and supplies.

The University Bookstore has available both new and used textbooks. The bookstore will purchase used textbooks which are in good condition at any time during the year provided such textbooks continue to be used by the academic departments and if needed by the bookstore.


The Registrar’s Office will mail an official copy of an academic transcript at the written request of a student upon receipt of payment of $7 for each copy requested. When working conditions permit, the office will provide one-day transcript service if requested. An official transcript will not be issued unless all financial obligations to the University have been satisfied.

Housing and Food Expenses

Information about University housing may be found in the Student Housing section of this catalog. Information about campus food service may be found in the University Center section of this catalog.

Tuition, Fees, and Charges: Exemptions and Waivers

State law provides for several exemptions or waivers of tuition, fees, and charges. Students qualified for a reduced rate in any of the following categories must have that eligibility certified prior to registration. For a complete description and eligibility requirements, please go to and select Tuition Exemptions and Waivers. This Web site will also provide department contact information and tuition, fees, and charges that are exempt or waived. Additional information may be found in the Texas Education Code.

Payment of Tuition, Fees, and Charges

Please go to for information on due dates, deadlines, detailed penalties and refunds.

Withdrawal for Non-Payment

Please go to and select Registration Payment Information Bulletins for current detailed information.

Payment Options

Please go to and select Registration Payment Information for current detailed information.

Note: The following quotation from Texas Education Code 54.007 applies to installment payments due: "A student who fails to make full payment of tuition and fees, including any incidental fees, by the due date may be prohibited from registering for classes until full payment is made. A student who fails to make payment prior to the end of the semester may be denied credit for the work done that semester."

Questions may be directed to Bursar Services, 817-272-2172. Detailed student account information may not be released to anyone other than the student without the student’s written permission in Bursar Services.

Payment Methods and Locations

The University accepts cash, checks, traveler’s checks, money orders, and the following credit cards: Master Card, Visa, Diners Club, Discover, and American Express. Any form of payment (check, electronic bank draft, or credit card) that is returned unpaid can result in enrollment withdrawal and additional penalties.

Concurrent Enrollment

Cooperative Programs Between University of Texas System Components

A student concurrently enrolling at two or more University of Texas System components may register and pay tuition, fees, and charges for all courses through the student’s home institution. Detailed procedures may be obtained from the registrar of the student’s home institution. The concurrent enrollment agreement and waiver of specified fees and charges applies only to students following the concurrent enrollment procedures specified by the registrar of the home institution.

The charges for the following will be assessed and collected at the home institution for the other institution(s):

Student services at the second institution will be made available to concurrently enrolled students paying the appropriate student service fees at the second institution. Some institutions have a reciprocal agreement for honoring parking permits. Details may be obtained from the police departments on each campus.

Concurrently enrolled students should report any problems concerning registration, payment of tuition, fees, and charges or other matters related to concurrent enrollment procedures to the registrar of the home institution.

Concurrent students wishing to add or drop courses must do so in compliance with the host institution’s policy. On or before the host institution’s Census Date, adds or drops may be done through the home institution’s registrar. After the Census Date, drops must be done at the host institution.

Sponsored Students/Texas Tomorrow Fund Participants

It is the student’s responsibility to contact Bursar Services, Room 130, Davis Hall, 817-272-2172, each semester prior to the payment deadline date to confirm that an authorization has been received and is sufficient to secure the current session registration.

Estimated Expenses

The Student Financial Aid Office estimates that average expenses for a full-time Texas resident student for two semesters at UT Arlington are:

Item Cost
Tuition, Fees, and Charges $6,840
Books and Supplies 840
Housing and food 5,990
Total $13,670

(Students residing at home may lower the housing and food cost significantly.)

Residency Regulations

Resident classifications are determined in accordance with Title 19, Chapter 21, Subchapter X of the Texas Administrative Code and the rules of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board for determining residence status. Except as specifically provided by law, an individual classified as a nonresident student must pay tuition, fees, and charges required of nonresident students. Students may access the Coordinating Board’s rules at the THCB Web site.

To be considered a Texas Resident a person must establish a domicile in Texas not later than one year before the census date of the academic term in which the person is enrolled in an institution of higher education, and maintain that domicile continuously for the year preceding the census date. Generally, a person enrolling in an institution of higher education prior to having established a domicile in Texas for 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the census date will be classified as a nonresident student.

Additionally, a person is eligible to be classified as a Texas Resident if the person: maintained a domicile in Texas for at least 36 months prior to graduation from a Texas high school or receipt of the equivalent to a Texas high school diploma, graduated from a Texas high school or received the equivalent of a Texas high school diploma, and maintained a residence in Texas for the 12 months preceding the census date at an institution of higher education. The domicile of a dependent’s parents is presumed to be the domicile of the dependent unless the dependent meets all the requirements of this paragraph.

If while attending an institution of higher education a person classified as a nonresident meets the requirements to domicile in Texas, the nonresident student may reclassify as a Texas Resident if business and personal facts or actions are unequivocally indicative of a fixed intention to domicile permanently in Texas. A nonresident classification is presumed to be correct as long as the residence of the individual in Texas is primarily for the purpose of attending an educational institution. Students wishing to reclassify will need to complete a set of the Core Residency Questions and turn them into the Undergraduate Admissions Office with supporting documentation.

Generally, a student attending The University of Texas at Arlington who is not classified as a Texas Resident will be charged nonresident tuition. Certain nonresident students, however, are entitled to pay tuition and other fees at the Texas Resident rate. For example, military personnel assigned to duty in Texas, and their spouses and dependent children, are entitled to pay the same tuition as a Texas resident if certain documentation is provided. Similarly, students who hold a competitive academic scholarship of $1,000 per year or more awarded through The University of Texas at Arlington are entitled to pay resident fees and charges. Other exceptions to the requirement that nonresident students pay nonresident tuition, fees, and charges are included in the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board rules for determining residence status.

The responsibility of registering under and maintaining the proper residence classification rests on the student. If there is any question concerning the student’s classification at the time of registration, or any time thereafter, it is the student’s obligation to consult with the Residency Determination Official in the undergraduate school and have the student’s classification officially determined. All requests for reclassification should be submitted to the undergraduate school at least 30 days prior to the census date of the term in question. Residency appeals are made to the Residency Appeals Committee. Decisions of the committee are final.

Audit of Student’s Schedule and Fee Audit Adjustments

All adds, drops and other registration adjustments through the Census Date each semester will cause an immediate, automatic fee recalculation. An audit will be performed approximately six weeks into the semester in the fall and spring, sooner in the short semesters. At that time, the appropriate charges or credits will be added to the student’s registration account.

Tuition Rebate for Baccalaureate Graduates

Texas residents enrolling for the first time in a Texas public institution of higher education for the fall 1997 semester or later may be eligible for a tuition rebate up to $1,000 when the baccalaureate degree is completed. The student must have attempted all course work at a Texas public college or university and have been entitled to pay resident tuition at all times while pursuing the degree. The requested rebate must be for course work related to a first baccalaureate degree received from a Texas public university. No more than three hours may be attempted in excess of the minimum number of semester hours required for the degree under the catalog which the student is graduating. (Hours attempted include transfer credits, credit earned exclusively by examination, courses dropped after the official census date, for-credit developmental courses, optional internship and cooperative education courses, and those repeated exclusively by examination.)

An application form and any other requirements pertaining to the tuition rebate may be obtained from the Graduation section of the Registrar’s Office. Interested students should apply for the rebate when filing for graduation prior to registration for the final semester. To be eligible, a student must apply for the rebate before degrees are awarded for that semester.


Current detailed information is available at Select Refunds for Session Withdrawals and Dropped Courses.

Dropping Course(s) but Continuing Enrollment

If a student remains enrolled in at least one course he/she will be refunded in full for any course dropped by the census date. Students who drop hours after the end of the published add/drop period will be charged a non-refundable $3/sch Drop Fee. If a course is dropped after the census date, the student is financially responsible for the full cost of the course.

Total Withdrawal from School

A student who officially withdraws from a session (drops all hours of a specific session) will receive a refund according to the schedule below.

1. A student who withdraws prior to the first official university class day will receive a 100 percent refund.

2. If the foregoing condition is not met, then the refund shall be as shown below. Class days noted are official university class days. They are not the individual student’s class meeting days.

Fall and Spring Terms

During class days 1 through 5—80%

During class days 6 through 10—70%

During class days 11 through 15—50%

During class days 16 through 20—25%

After 20th class day—no refund

Summer Terms

During class days 1 through 3—80%During class days 4 through 6—50%After sixth class day—no refund


On first class day—80%On second class day—50%After second class day—no refund

3. Parking refunds must be applied for separately at the Parking Office, 1225 W. Mitchell.

Return of Title IV and Other Aid Funds

If a student receiving financial assistance withdraws (resigns) from all courses at the University of Texas at Arlington, then UT Arlington and/or the student may be required to return some of the federal, state, and/or institutional funds awarded to the student. These funds would be returned to the grant, scholarship, or loan fund from which the assistance was received.

The federal Return of Title IV Funds policy requires that a portion of federal aid be returned if the student withdraws on or before completing 60% of the semester for which student received federal aid. Students receiving all grades of F or a combination of all Fs and Ws are subject to the Return of Title IV Funds Calculation. Federal financial aid includes the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG), Federal SMART Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), LEAP Grant (formerly SSIG), Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Stafford Loan (subsidized and unsubsidized), and the Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS).

Depending on the types and amounts of aid received, UT Arlington may be required to return a certain portion of funds, and the student may be required to repay a portion of the funds. If the student owes a repayment of grant funds as a result of the calculation, he/she cannot receive future federal financial aid funds at any school until repayment has been made. Any federal loan amount owed by the student is to be repaid under the terms of the promissory note (see example below). The student may owe an outstanding balance to UT Arlington once we return funds required through the federal Return of Title IV Funds calculation. Complete details of the policy can be found at www.uta/fao, click Financial Aid on the left menu, then Return of Funds Policy. Contact the Office of Financial Aid for additional information.

Disbursement of Refunds

For your convenience, direct deposit of your refund is available. Contact Bursar Services for information.

Inquiries concerning refunds should be directed to Bursar Services, Room 130, Davis Hall, 817-272-2172.

top of page