- Develop a partnership among academe, industry (including manufacturing, engineering and contracting in all areas of gas, oil, water, sewer, communication, electric, etc.) and other organizations participating in the Center.
- Develop new and cost-effective solutions to construct and renew aging underground infrastructure.
- Create a better-trained, diverse workforce in the area of underground infrastructure technologies, and to improve the diversity of that work-force through proactive recruiting and innovative web-based cooperative outreach, training, teaching and learning.
- Create new opportunities for providing interdisciplinary, hands-on education by facilitating exchange of students amongst groups with diverse research capabilities and interests.
- Formulate cooperative research and development agreements, intellectual property agreements, and personnel exchanges.
- Develop and implement new modes of technology transfer and entrepreneurship.
- Create road maps for pipeline inspecting, real-time monitoring, GIS, GPS, and renewal integration.
- Design, implement, and assess new educational approaches that provide more flexible and accessible career pathways for students.