Arlington, TX 76019-0308
Phone: (817) 272-3701
Ph.D., 1972, The University of Texas at Austin
M.S.ArE., 1967, The University of Texas at Austin
B.S.ArE., 1964, The University of Texas at Austin
Areas of Expertise:
Structural analysis and design of reinforced concrete, structural steel, structural timber, light gauge steel, and masonry systems.
Dr. Matthys has had industrial experience with structural consulting and architectural firms (1964-1967). He spent two years as Professor of Architectural Engineering at the University of Wyoming (1972-1974). He is currently involved in research in brick/block masonry and masonry mortars. As President of The Masonry Society, member of ASTM C-12 and C-15 committees, and member of the Masonry Standards Joint Committee, he is actively involved in developing national masonry structural design codes and construction material standards. As Director of the Construction Research Center at UT Arlington, he is involved with the development and monitoring of a wide range of research activities and continuing education programs, including the week long Building Professional Institute held each May on the UT Arlington campus.
|Employer||Title||Dates||Brief Description of Duties|
|UT Arlington||Director||1976 - Present||Manage Construction Research Center|
|UT Arlington||Professor||1987 - Present||Teaching and Research Civil & Environmental Engineering|
|UT Arlington||Associate Professor||1980 - 1987||Teaching and Research Civil & Environmental Engineering|
|UT Arlington||Assistant Professor||1974 - 1980||Teaching and Research Civil & Environmental Engineering|
|University of Wyoming||Assistant Professor||1972 - 1974||Teaching - C.E. and Architecture|
|UT Austin||Teaching Assistant||1967 - 1972||Teaching - C.E. and Architecture|
|Barnes, etc. Austin, TX||Structural Design||1965-1967||Design Buildings|
|Walter Moore Houston, TX||Structural Design||1964||Design Buildings|
Professional Activities Active Participation in Professional Societies and Organizations:
Membership & Offices Held in Professional & Honor Societies:
1. Masonry Standards Joint Committee – Executive Committee Member and Subcommittee Chair
2. American Society of Civil Engineers - ASCE
3 The Masonry Society - President & Vice-President
4. American Society of Testing & Materials - ASTM, Main Committee Chairman and Vice Chairman
5. Chi Epsilon
6. Tau Beta Pi
7. Tau Sigma Delta
8. Phi Kappa Phi
1. Member Masonry Standards Joint Committee - Committee drafted a national masonry structural design code (530 Code) for the United States, 1983 to present. Member of Main Committee and Executive Committee. Chairman of the Aotoclaved Aerated Caoncrete Masonry Subcommittee.
2. Chairman ASTM C 12 (Mortar For Unit Masonry) - Responsible for specifications and methods of testing relating to mortars, 1982 to 1987.
3. Vice Chairman ASTM C 12 (Mortar For Unit Masonry) - Main Committee, 1988 - 1991.
4. Member of ASTM C 12.02 (Research) - Responsible for design and conduct of research studies and development of test methods for masonry mortars, 1981 to present.
5. Member of ASTM C 12.03 (Specifications) - Responsible for product specifications, 1975 to present.
6. Member of ASTM C 12.04 (Aggregates) - Responsible for specifications for aggregates for masonry mortars and grouts, 1981 to present.
7. Member of ASTM C 12.07 (Laboratory Accreditation) - Responsible for describing the physical and personnel requirements of testing facilities and agencies engaged in inspections and testing, 1981 to present.
8. Chairman of The Masonry Society Standards Development Committee
9. Member of ASTM C 15 (Manufactured Masonry Units) - Responsible for specifications and methods of tests related to concrete and clay masonry units, 1973 to present.
9. Member of ASTM C 15.02 (Brick & Tile) - Responsible for specifications and methods of test for clay units, 1978 to present.
10. Member of ASTM C 15.05 (Assemblages) - Develops standards related to assemblages, 1983 to present.
11. Member of ASTM C 15.04 (Research) - Responsible for the design and conduct of research studies and test methods for assemblages, 1984 to present.
12. Chairman, of ASTM C 15.08 (Terminology) - Develop terminology standards for masonry units.
13. Member of ASTM C 15.10 (Autoclaved Aerated Concrete Masonry Units) – Develop standards related to AAC units.
14. Technical Advisory Committee (The Masonry Society) - Directs, coordinates, and reviews all technical activities of the Society, 1986 to 1997.
15. Steering Committee - The Masonry Society - Fourth North American Masonry Conference, University of California at Los Angeles, California, August 1987.
16. Program Committee member of Dallas ACI Convention - 1980.
17. Chairman, Technical Session I - Practical Field Experience, Dallas ACI Convention, February 1981.
18. North Central Texas Council of Governments - Member of Regional Codes Coordinating Committee, 1979 to 1989.
19. North Central Texas Council of Governments - Energy Subcommittee Chairman, 1982 to 1986.
20. Steering Committee - The Masonry Society - Fifth North American Masonry Conference, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, May 1990.
21. Education Subcommittee of The Masonry Society, Liaison Member from Technical Activities Committee and Member, 1987 to 1994.
22. Chairman of ASTM C 12.08 (Terminology) - Responsible for notation and definition of masonry related terms for use by ASTM C 12 and ASTM C 15, 1988 to present.
23. Site Selection Committee - Sixth North American Masonry Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, February 1991.
24. Chairman, Local Organizing Committee, The Masonry Society Annual Meeting, Houston, Texas, February 1991.
25. Research Technical Committee of The Masonry Society, 1987 to present.
26. Designs Practices Technical Committee of The Masonry Society, 1991 to present.
27. Board of Directors, The Masonry Society, 1989
28. Vice President of The Masonry Society, 1992 to 1994.
29. President of The Masonry Society, 1994 to 1997.
30. Past President of The Masonry Society, 1997.
31. Steering Committee - The Masonry Society - Seventh North American Masonry Conference, University of Notre Dame, South Bend, Indiana, June 1996.
32. Chairman of The Masonry Society Annual Meeting, San Diego, California, February 25 - 27, 1993.
33. Steering Committee - The Masonry Society - Eighth North American Masonry Conference, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas, June 1999.
34. Masonry Standards Joint Committee- Executive Committee Member; 2001 to present
35. Steering Committee - The Masonry Society - Ninth North American Masonry Conference, Clemson University, Clemson South Carolina, June 2003.
1. Honorary Member of The Masonry Society – Presented by TMS in October 2004.
2. Honorary member of American Society of Testing & Materials – Presented by Committee C-12 in December 2003.
3. President’s Award - For exceptional contributions to the success of the society. Presented by The Masonry Society to John H. Matthys in February 1998.
4. Twenty-one Year Service Award from Construction Research Advisory Committee, May 1997.
5. Industry Award presented by the Building Officials Association of Texas at the Third Annual Building Professional Institute in January 1995.
6. ASTM Award of Merit and title of Fellow of American Society of Testing and Materials, presented to John H. Matthys in June 1993.
7. ASTM Alan H. Yorkdale Societal Award for the outstanding published paper in masonry. Presented to W. Sriboonlue and J.H. Matthys in June 1991.
8. Award of Recognition, Presented by ASTM Committee C 15 in June 1990 to J. H. Matthys for distinguished service and outstanding leadership towards advancing the Symposium on Masonry: Components To Assemblages.
9. Award of Appreciation, Presented by ASTM in December 1987 to J. H. Matthys for outstanding service as ASTM Committee C 12 Chairman from 1982 to 1987.
Active Participation in Professional Societies and Organizations: