The Disaster Mitigation Group carries out its mission through the following major objectives:
* To coordinate and foster infrastructure disaster research conducted in the state and the region.
* To provide disaster related education and expertise to students, local/state agencies, and the private sector.
* To foster infrastructure disaster collaboration
* To serve as a clearinghouse for infrastructure disaster information.
* To operate as an umbrella organization in infrastructure disaster research at the state, national, and international levels.
* To increase visibility of infrastructure disaster related research at the federal arena.
* To develop community wide critical infrastructure disaster vulnerability models; assess such vulnerabilities in sample communities.
* To provide disaster related education and expertise to students through BS, MS, professional and PhD programs.
* To provide disaster related training and expertise to local/state agencies, and to the private sector, as needed.
* To identify, undertake and publicize critical disaster related issues with infrastructure applications, especially those that are unique to the state.
* To actively seek and establish partnerships with interested organizations at the local, state and national levels.
* To develop multi-disciplinary and multi-institutional collaborative networks to address disasters related issues (e.g., engineering, planning, sociology, meteorology, etc.).
* To strengthen ties between disaster researchers working in their respective areas of interest.
* To develop and maintain a database of documents, publications and reports on Texas Disasters.
* To develop and maintain an inventory of disaster related educational programs, outreach networks, and dissemination efforts in the state.