Responding to the growing number of English language learners, the center strives to increase the number of bilingual and ESL teachers in Texas. It prepares teachers to work with linguistically diverse student populations and provides technical support to school districts.
Future Teacher Scholarship for Undergraduate Transfer Students
Amount of one-time scholarship: $2,500 (divided between fall and spring semester)
Available to students seeking to complete their bachelor’s degree at UTA (on-campus programs only) in one of the following educator preparation programs:
B.S./B.A in Interdisciplinary Studies in Early Childhood-Grade 6
- Bilingual Core Subjects*
- ESL Core Subjects*
- Special Education (EC-12)*
B.S./B.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies Middle Level Grades 4-8
- 4-8 English Language Arts & Reading/Social Studies
- 4-8 Mathematics/Science
- 4-8 Core subjects
To qualify for this grant, an applicant must:
- Be a current transfer student (from a community college or other institution)
- Have completed a minimum 60 hours before start of fall semester
- Includes the 42-hour core curriculum
- Have a minimum GPA – 2.75 or better
- Enroll for a minimum of full-time (12 hours)
- Submit one professional or academic letter of reference
- Submit a grant application along with a brief written response (paragraph minimum) to the following two questions:
Why do you want to be a teacher?
What life activities or experiences have prepared you to become an effective teacher?
*Students seeking to complete an educator preparation program in special education or mid-level math/science also may be eligible to receive up to $3,736 with the TEACH Grant (Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education).
To apply, visit the listing on Mav Scholarshop.