Certification Preparation Only Options
If you have a master’s degree, you may take 21 additional face-to-face hours through our department and earn the credentials needed to become a campus principal or an assistant principal. This principal certificate program is fully aligned with the Educational Leadership Constituent Council (ELCC) standards and designed for classroom teachers who want to advance in K-12 education.
The fully online Superintendent Academic Partnership Certificate Program was collaboratively developed by UT Arlington and area school district personnel to ensure that program participants acquire the skills and background information needed to become practicing superintendents. This non-thesis certificate program (15 hours, six courses) is fully aligned with the Educational Leadership Constituent Council (ELCC) standards and designed for administrators who already have principal certification and a conferred master’s degree who want to advance in the K-12 education arena.
Texas students who would like to be authorized to take the Texas superintendent exam must meet state, course, and documentation requirements and pass the practice superintendent exam. Students must come to the UTA Campus to take the practice exam.
Candidates must pass all appropriate state exams and apply for appropriate state certifications with the State Board for Educator Certification / Texas Education Agency within six months of the completion of their student teaching, internship, or practicum program. If a candidate allows the six month period to go by without passing all state exams and applying for certification, additional coursework and/or state exams will be required for recommendation for certification. Additional coursework will be determined by the appropriate Program Director in consultation with the faculty.
Out of State Students
Out of state students will not qualify for Texas educator certification. Therefore, students should review their state's requirements to determine if completion of the Superintendent Certification program at UT Arlington will lead to certification in their state.
The Superintendent Certificate program is an approved educator preparation program in Texas. To be eligible to receive the Standard Superintendent Certificate, you must:
- hold, at a minimum, a master's degree from an institution of higher education that is accredited by an accrediting agency, as recognized by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board;
- hold, at a minimum, a standard principal certificate or the equivalent issued under this title or by another state or country;
- successfully complete a Texas approved superintendent educator preparation program and be recommended for certification by that program; the program includes a supervised practicum in an accredited Texas public school or other school approved by the Texas Education Agency and be recommended for certification by that program;
- satisfactorily complete an exam based on the Texas Standards Required for the Superintendent Certificate;
- and any other Texas Education Agency (TEA) or State Board of Educator Certification (SBEC) requirements.
Looking for Master’s Degree with Principal Certification? Click here