Master of Education, Principal Certification Dual Language Emphasis
Total hours: 36
|Core Courses (18 credit hours)|
|EDAD 5322||Educational Research and Evaluation|
|EDAD 5360||Leadership Theory|
|EDAD 5365||Leading Change in Learning Organizations|
|EDAD 5380||Diversity and Equity in Education|
|EDAD 5388||Policy and Politics in Education*|
|EDAD 5399||Capstone Internship|
|* May substitute EDAD 5376 Educational Governance in Spring odd years|
|Dual Language Emphasis Courses (18 credit hours)|
|BEEP 5321||ESL Methods for EC-6|
|EDAD 5330||Leadership in the Instructional Setting|
|EDAD 5381||Political & Legal Aspects of Education|
|BEEP 5366||Enhancing Spanish Proficiency|
|BEEP 5318||Foundations of Bilingual Education|
|BEEP 5365||Organization and Administration of Dual Language Programs|
(Click here for "Course Sequence" chart)
A trip to a Spanish-speaking country will be part of course requirements for BEEP 5366, taken in the first summer of the student's program. Ability to speak Spanish is not required.
- Transfers are not accepted for EDAD 5381, 5382, 5383, 5384, 5330 or for Internships.
- No more than 9 credit hours may be transferred.
- Courses must be equivalent to a course in the program, be 5 years old or less and show a grade of 'B' or better.
- All transfer hours must be approved by the program director and the Office of Graduate Studies.
Review this document for information about obtaining a probationary certificate.
The following requirements must be met to be approved for principal certification.
- Holds or has held a standard teacher certificate.
- Has had a minimum of two creditable years of classroom teaching experience. A teacher service record must sent from the school district directly do the director of certification via US Postal Service. Creditable years is defined as having been completed in an accredited school district. Out of state teaching experience may qualify provided it was done within a school accredited by that state.
- Holds a Master's degree. The degree must be conferred, which can take several weeks after graduation.
- Has completed an approved administrative internship.
- Has completed an approved program designed for meeting the certification requirements. All coursework must be completed and grades must be posted.
- Has passed the TExES Standard Principal Certificate Exam.
Candidates are approved to take the TExES Principal Exam
- After passing grades have been posted for EDAD 5381, 5382, 5383, 5384 and 5330, or
if they are currently enrolled in or have successfully completed EDAD 5399
- If they have scored 80% on the Principal Practice Test.
Candidates must pass all appropriate state exams and apply for appropriate state certifications with the State Board for Educator Certification / Texas Education Agency within six months of the completion of their student teaching, internship, or practicum program. If a candidate allows the six month period to go by without passing all state exams and applying for certification, additional coursework and/or state exams will be required for recommendation for certification. Additional coursework will be determined by the appropriate Program Director in consultation with the faculty.