Skip to content

Undergraduate Advising

Prospective student FAQs

Where should I start?

You must first apply to UT Arlington; you can check the Admissions website for more information. Once you are admitted, you should make an appointment with a College of Education advisor by calling 817-272-2956. In this appointment, we will fill out a degree plan, check your academic standing and go over an advising agreement. In the meantime, feel free to browse this website for information or e-mail an advisor with your general questions.

What are College of Education undergraduate admission requirements?

You can review Education program admission requirements here: admission requirements.

How do I sign up to take the THEA?

You can register online to take the THEA at the THEA website.

Testing Services at UT Arlington also offers the THEA Quick Test to students who are unable to register for a regular test date. You can read more about the THEA on the Testing Services website.

What certification areas do you offer?

You can view our certification areas here.

What is the difference between the certification levels?

EC-6 and Mid-Level students major in Education ("Education Intended" for pre-majors) and will be advised only by an Education advisor. These students first work on their core and basic courses before entering the Education program. The program itself is a two-year blocked cohort schedule of courses which only begins in the Fall semester (once a student begins the program, he/she is changed from "Education Intended" to "Interdisciplinary Studies) . You can view our degree plans for more information on required courses.

Secondary and All-Level students major in their content area and should first meet with their content advisor. When they are ready to begin their Education coursework, they should meet with an Education advisor. They will work with both these advisors to ensure they meet all the requirements for their degree and certification. You can read the Secondary/All-Level FAQs page for more information.

What is the difference between a B.A. and a B.S. with EC-6 Generalist certification?

The Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science Generalist degree plans are nearly identical. There is only one requirement that is different: the B.A. requires two semesters of intermediate-level foreign language (Spanish, French or German), while the B.S. requires 6 hours of Math/Science/Technology courses instead. This option allows students to choose a degree plan that best fits their strengths. Both these degree plans have the same Education program with the same certification.

Can I take courses at a community college and transfer them in?

Yes. Many of the core and basic requirements on our degree plans can be taken at a community college. Keep in mind that you must earn a grade of ‘C’ or better in order for a course to transfer. You can view the Transfer Equivalency Guide to determine course equivalents at other schools. Make sure you send official transcripts to the Office of Records so the university has record of these transfer courses. We highly recommended that you meet with a College of Education and Health Professions (Education) advisor before taking any courses at a community college to ensure they can be counted towards your degree.

Can I meet with an advisor to look at my transcripts?

You can give us a call at 817-272-2956 to schedule a prospective advising appointment. Please bring unofficial transcripts from all colleges/universities you have attended so we can better assist you.

I have taken Education courses at another university. Will they transfer to UT Arlington?

To be considered for use on your degree plan, transfer Education courses must be upper-level courses with earned grades of ‘B’ or better. You must research possible substitutions on your own.  Compile course syllabi and descriptions of these potential substitutions and let Education advisor know which courses you'd like to be reviewed. All decisions are made by Program faculty, Program Coordinators and/or Department Chair. 

I am interested in Kinesiology, Athletic Training or Exercise Science. Where do I get advised?

Kinesiology is part of the College of Education and Health Professions, but they do their own advising. For more information about these programs, you can visit the Kinesiology website or call them at 817-272-3288.

Can I get a second Bachelor’s in Education?

No. If you hold a Bachelor’s degree in any area, you must pursue teacher certification at the graduate level. The graduate advisors have their own advising portal which you can read for more information.