UT Arlington has recently partnered with RE2, a leading robotics company based in Pittsburgh, PA to compete in the DARPA Robotics Challenge (DRC). Envisioned as a response to natural disasters, DARPA funded 18 teams worldwide to develop robot software and hardware to compete in 8 demanding challenges, including:
- Robot will ingress and drive a utility vehicle to disaster.
- Robot will egress from vehicle and travel dismounted across rough terrain to a repair site.
- Robot will locate a hose and connect it into a spigot.
The project duration is 2 years and offers a $2M prize to the winning team. More information about DRC can be found at http://theroboticschallenge.org/
Dr. Patrick Rowe, Vice President for Research and Development of RE2, Inc., will give a seminar at UT Arlington Research Institute (UTARI) on Monday, November 19 at 11:00 am, in the auditorium. The talk will introduce RE2, Inc. through examples from their past projects, current and technology, and will also discuss the DRC.
Dr. Dan Popa will hold an informational session to introduce the UTA DRC team members and discuss opportunities for others to get involved and help our team effort.
The DRC Project is being carried out at UTARI’s newly established Assistive Robotics Lab and is a collaboration between Engineering Faculty and Graduate students from MAE, EE, and CSE Departments. A chartered shuttle bus will leave the UC in front of Starbucks Café at 10:15 am, and return at 1:00 pm.
RE2 DRC Track B Team
RE2 DRC Team
Dr. Patrick Rowe, project lead, VP R&D, RE2
Andy Somerville, Engineer, RE2
David Rusbarsky, Engineer, RE2
UTA DRC Team
Dr. Dan Popa, UTA project lead, EE Faculty
Dr. Alan Bowling, MAE Faculty
Dr. Gian Luca Mariottini, CSE Faculty
Dr. Frank Lewis, EE Faculty
Dr. Kamesh Subbarao, MAE Faculty
Isura Ranatunga, EE Ph.D. student
Adrian Rodrigues, MAE Ph.D. student
Aaron Staranowicz, CSE Ph.D. student
Ghassan Atmeh, MAE Ph.D. student
Glenn Taylor, Senior Scientist
Supported and Hosted by:
UT Arlington Research Institute
7300 Jack Newell Blvd. S., Fort Worth, Texas, 76118
Phone: 817-272-5900, Fax: 817-272-2253, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Two student-engineering teams win international challenges
- Interacting with a Robot: Meet Zeno!
- International Conference on Social Robotics
- Students present at 3rd Annual Connecting Education with Industry Event
- Can you say hello to Zeno?
- RE2-UTA DARPA Robotics Challenge Team Introduction
- IEEE RAS Mobile Microrobotics Challenge at ICRA 2013