- In accordance with tradition, all participants in commencement ceremonies are expected to dress in full academic regalia.
- You must wear regalia (cap and gown) to participate. Master's and Ph.D. students must also have hoods. NO EXCEPTIONS. Master's students may don their hoods before or upon arrival. Ph.D. students will be hooded on stage.
- You must purchase your regalia from the bookstore. Please try on your gown at least two weeks prior to the ceremony so that if it does not fit, you may exchange it for the correct size.
- UTA now offers UTA-specific robes for all degree levels that take additional time to be custom made. All custom gowns must be fitted and ordered two months prior to the ceremony
- Your clothing under your robe should be business or business casual.
- Participants should wear COMFORTABLE SHOES. You will be walking from the practice gyms into the arena, and up and down ramps at the stage.
- Graduates should not bring purses or plan to carry anything with them into the arena. You will not be permitted to leave any of your belongings in the practice gyms during the ceremony.
Caps and gowns for each School and College are sold at the UT Arlington Bookstore. Pricing below is for FALL 2015:
- Bachelor's set (robe, zipper pull and mortarboard) -Basic Black Set or UTA Custom Set (black robe with blue cuff and orange trim): $71.95
- Master's set (robe, zipper pull, hood and mortarboard) - Basic Black Set or UTA Custom Set (black robe with blue velvet front similar to PhD robe): $140.95
- Ph.D. set (robe, zipper pull, hood, and mortarboard) - Basic Black Set or UTA Custom Set (black robe with blue velvet front and three velvet stripes on sleeves): $237.95; Fine Quality: $458.95 plus upgrades (The Fine Quality set is a custom gown that may be cleaned and worn for many years; if you are going straight into academia, this is your best option).
- If you are a Ph.D. candidate and plan to go into academia after graduation, you may want to consider buying a nice set with your university's colors, because you will be required to wear it at future academic ceremonies requiring regalia. Many families choose to give their graduates their Ph.D. robes as their graduation present.
You can order announcements, etc at Jostens: CLICK HERE
Grad Finale is Oct. 13 & 14 (3pm-7 pm) and Oct. 15 & 16 (10am-3 pm). Jostens will be at the UTA Bookstore to assist the students with invitations and Flash Photography will be here on Tuesday and Wednesday for pictures. We will provide regalia for students who wish to have photos taken.
ALL CORDS MAY BE PICKED UP IN THE ENGINEERING STUDENT SERVICES OFFICE (242 NEDDERMAN HALL) AFTER NOVEMBER 15.
Latin Honor Cords (Orange, White and Blue - Bachelor Degree Candidates Only)
Any students graduating with Latin honors (Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude or Summa Cum Laude) will be provided with set of orange, blue and white honors cords. You will not need to purchase this from the bookstore. Please note: GPA is figured based on the second-to-last full semester's grades, and do not include the grades for your final semester, as these grades are not final until AFTER the graduation ceremony. You will receive an email if you qualify for this honor. If you do not receive an email about honor cords, then you did not qualify.
- Cum Laude Latin Honors: overall GPA is 3.500 – 3.699 OR (overall GPA is 3.300 – 3.499 and the GPA for last 45 semester hours in residence is 3.500 – 3.699).
- Magna Cum Laude Latin Honors: overall GPA is 3.700 – 3.899 OR (overall GPA is 3.500 – 3.699 and the GPA for last 45 semester hours in residence is 3.700 – 3.899).
- Summa Cum Laude Latin Honors: overall GPA is 3.900 – 4.000 OR (overall GPA is 3.700 – 4.000 and the GPA for last 45 semester hours in residence is 3.900 – 4.000).
Co-Op/Internship Cords (Red)
All UNDERGRADUATE students who completed a co-op or internship will be provided with a red cord.
Research Cords (Purple)
All UNDERGRADUATE students who participated in non-mandatory research will be provided with a purple cord.