- In accordance with tradition, all participants in commencement ceremonies are expected to dress in full academic regalia.
- You must wear regalia (cap and gown) to participate. Master's and Ph.D. students must also have hoods. NO EXCEPTIONS. Master's students may don their hoods before or upon arrival. Ph.D. students will be hooded on stage.
- You must purchase your regalia from the bookstore. Please try on your gown at least two weeks prior to the ceremony so that if it does not fit, you may exchange it for the correct size.
- UTA now offers UTA-specific Ph.D. robes that take additional time to be custom made. All custom gowns must be fitted and ordered by October 25, 2013.
- Your clothing under your robe should be business or business casual.
- Participants should wear COMFORTABLE SHOES. You will be walking from the practice gyms into the arena, and up and down ramps at the stage.
- Graduates should not bring purses or plan to carry anything with them into the arena. You will not be permitted to leave any of your belongings in the practice gyms during the ceremony.
Caps and gowns for each School and College are sold at the UT Arlington Bookstore. Pricing for Fall 2013:
- Bachelor's set (robe and mortarboard) - $51.00
- Master's set (robe, hood and mortarboard) - $103.00
- Ph.D. solid black set (robe, hood, and mortarboard) - $130.00
- Ph.D. UTA Custom Deluxe Set (robe, hood and deluxe cap) - $235.95
- Ph.D. Custom Sussex Set (robe, hood and tam) - $424.51 (options and accessories extra)
- If you are a Ph.D. candidate and plan to go into academia after graduation, you may want to consider buying a nice set with your university's colors, because you will be required to wear it at future academic ceremonies requiring regalia. Many families choose to give their graduates their Ph.D. robes as their graduation present.
Grad Finale is October 14-17, Mon-Tues 3-7 p.m.; Wed-Thurs 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Jostens will be here to assist the students with invitations and Flash Photography will be here on Tuesday and Wednesday for pictures. We will provide regalia for students who wish to have photos taken.
Distance Education students will be able to download the order form from our website, www.uta-shop.com.
ALL CORDS MAY BE PICKED UP IN THE ENGINEERING STUDENT SERVICES OFFICE (242 NEDDERMAN HALL) AFTER NOVEMBER 14.
Latin Honor Cords (Orange, White and Blue)
Any students graduating with Latin honors (Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude or Summa Cum Laude) will be provided with set of orange, blue and white honors cords. You will not need to purchase this from the bookstore.
- Cum Laude Latin Honors: overall GPA is 3.500 – 3.699 OR (overall GPA is 3.300 – 3.499 and the GPA for last 45 semester hours in residence is 3.500 – 3.699).
- Magna Cum Laude Latin Honors: overall GPA is 3.700 – 3.899 OR (overall GPA is 3.500 – 3.699 and the GPA for last 45 semester hours in residence is 3.700 – 3.899).
- Summa Cum Laude Latin Honors: overall GPA is 3.900 – 4.000 OR (overall GPA is 3.700 – 4.000 and the GPA for last 45 semester hours in residence is 3.900 – 4.000).
FE Cords (Green)
All students who attempted the FE Exam will be provided with a green cord. There is no grade requirement on the FE to receive this cord.
Co-Op/Internship Cords (Red)
All students who completed a co-op or internship will be provided with a red cord.
Research Cords (Purple)
All students who participated in research, either as a GRA or in an undergraduate research capacity, will be provided with a purple cord.