Dr. Penelope Ingram
Associate Professor Feminist Theory, Philosophy, Postcolonial Theory & Literature
- PhD, University of New South Wales, 1999
- MA, Yale University, 1994
- BA, Smith College, 1992
Professor Ingram is currently at work on a book, Framing the Mother: Psychoanalysis and the Maternal Gaze, which revisits the question of the female spectator in contemporary film.
- The Signifying Body: Towards an Ethics of Sexual and Racial Difference. SUNY Press, Series in Gender Theory, Tina Chanter, ed., 2008.
- Articles Refereed in Journals:
- Review of Transnational Whiteness Matters. Aileen Moreton-Robinson, Maryrose Casey and Fiona Nicoll (eds), 2008. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books. Australian Feminist Studies 26:70 (2011).
- “Veiled Resistance: Algerian Women and the Resignification of Patriarchal and Colonial Discourses of Embodiment.” Journal for Peace and Justice Studies 19:1 (2009): 50-65.
- “Representing the Irish Body: Reading Ned’s Armor.” Antipodes: Journal of the American Association of Australian Studies 20:1(June 2006): 11-19. Research for this article was funded by a grant from the NEH.
- “Racializing Babylon: Settler Whiteness and the 'New Racism.'” New Literary History 32:1 (Winter 2001): 157-176.
- “From Goddess Spirituality to Irigaray's Angel: The Politics of the Divine.” Feminist Review 66 (Autumn 2000): 46-72.
- “‘One Drifts Apart’: To the Lighthouse as Art of Response.” Philosophy and Literature (April 1999): 78-95.
- “Can the Settler Speak?: Appropriating Subaltern Silence in Janet Frame’s The Carpathians,” Cultural Critique 41 (Winter 1998/99): 79-107.
- Women’s and Gender Studies Advisory Board
- Department Tenure and Promotion Committee
- Hermanns Lecture Committee
- University Committee on the Status of Women and Minorities
Recent Awards and Grants
- NEH Summer Stipend 2004
- Referee for Hypatia: A Journal of Feminist Philosophy
- Referee for Island Studies JournaI
- Modern Language Association of America
- International Association of Philosophy and Literature
- Society for Women in Philosophy
- Feminist Ethics and Social Theory.
- Southern Comparative Literature Association
- American Association of Australian Studies