ENGL 3300-002 Sport Literature Spring 2008 Second Paper
to the syllabus
Your second paper will be a five-page maximum comparison / contrast essay on Sillitoe's "Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner" and Crutcher's Chinese Handcuffs. Try to choose a unifying theme for your essay. You might look at
That doesn't exhaust the possibilities; as in all these short paper assignments, I merely want to suggest some approaches that may make for interesting study of the texts.
- the texts' concept of audience: Sillitoe's is a "general" fiction, for readers of any age; Crutcher's is specifically written for a Young Adult audience (high-school age).
- the texts' representations of social class, particularly contrasts between England and the US
- the texts' conceptions of crime and morality
- the way the texts connect (or disconnect) youth sport and education
- contrasts between narrative style and tone in the two texts
Top of This Page