Department of Linguistics & TESOL | The University of Texas at Arlington
Native American Languages of the Southwest
The Department of Linguistics & TESOL at UT Arlington is regularly involved in workshops and training events to help members of indigenous language communities investigate, document, and teach their languages. Materials from those events are posted here.
Upcoming Workshops and Events follow links to check out workshop schedules and offerings
- No upcoming events scheduled.
- June 2015: Chickasaw Narrative Workshop, collecting stories with the Chickasaw Nation Elders during the 2015 Narrative Workshop.
- April, 2015: Documenting and Teaching Verbs in Indigenous Languages, Indigenous Language Documentation and Revitalization Seminar, Symposium on the American Indian, Northeastern State University, Tahlequah, OK
- February 21, 2015: Tweet in your #MotherLanguage a global social media campaign that anyone, anywhere can participate in by using the chosen hashtags and tweeting, retweeting and translating #MotherLanguage tweets.
- February 28, 2015: the Indigenous Language Powwow Challenge A joint collaboration celebrating #Powwow2015 and #MotherLanguage in an indigenous language video challenge, with cash prizes awarded at the powwow on February 28th, on UTA's campus in the Bluebonnet Ballroom./li>
- November 7, 2014: Talking Dictionaries for Indigenous Languages University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, TX (9 am to 3 pm; Trimble Hall room 014, Building adjacent to the Maverick Parking Garage, 708 S West St, Arlington, TX)
- November 18, 2014: Connecting with Your Tribal Language, Urban Inter-Tribal Center of Texas, 1261 Record Crossing Rd, Dallas, TX (evening workshop)
- November 21-22, 2014: Living Your Language: A two-day Native Language Revitalization Workshop, Chickasaw Community Center, 700 N. Mississippi Ave, Ada, OK
- June 16- July 25, 2014: CoLang 2014: Institute on Collaborative Language Research, Arlington, TX
- May 18-23, 2014: Oklahoma Breath of Life Workshop Norman, OK
- April, 2014: Talking Dictionaries for Indigenous Languages, Indigenous Language Documentation and Revitalization Seminar, Symposium on the American Indian, Northeastern State University, Tahlequah, OK
- June 2013: Creating Linguistic Products for Native American Languages, AILDI, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- April, 2013: Immersion for Native Languages, Indigenous Language Documentation and Revitalization Seminar, Symposium on the American Indian, Northeastern State University, Tahlequah, OK
- August, 2012: FLEx training for the Choctaw Language Program
- December, 2011: FLEx training for Choctaw, Chickasaw, and Sauk
- October, 2011: Annual Meeting for the Oklahoma Native Language Association
- April, 2011: Agreeing to Agree: How Words are Linked Together? Indigenous Languages Documentation and Revitalization Seminar
- October, 2010: Annual Meeting for the Oklahoma Native Language Association
Past Workshops (follow links to check out available workshop resources)