Welcome to Microscale Thermophysics Laboratory at the University of Texas, Arlington. We carry out research and education activities around the theme of microscale thermal transport in engineering and biological microsystems. Current projects include investigation of multi-physics, coupled phenomena in Li-ion cells for electrochemical energy conversion, thermal transport in three-dimensional integrated circuits, condition monitoring of boilers, and bioheat transfer in nerve cells. Please see Research page for further details.
The Microscale Thermophysics Laboratory hosts state-of-the-art equipment to facilitate research in microscale heat transfer and computing resources for analytical and numerical modeling. We have access to a further array of experimental equipment, including microfabrication tools, through our affiliation with the UT Arlington Research Institute (UTARI), Nanotechnology Research Center (NanoFab), Shimadzu Institute for Research Technologies, and Characterization Center for Materials and Biology (C2MB).
We are also involved in outreach and dissemination activities aimed at attracting middle-school students towards STEM education and STEM-related careers. For this purpose, we have partnerships with middle schools in near-by ISDs for ongoing activities involving their students.
Recent Journal Publications
1. Drake, S., Martin, M., Wetz, D.A., Ostanek, J.K., Miller, S.P., Heinzel, J.M., Jain, A., , ‘Heat generation rate measurement in a Li-ion cell at large C-rates through temperature and heat flux measurements’, J. Power Sources, 285, pp. 266-273, 2015. pdf
2. Vishwakarma, V., Jain, A., ‘Measurement of in-plane thermal conductivity and heat capacity of separator in Li-ion cells using a transient DC heating method’, J. Power Sources, 272, pp. 378-385, 2014. pdf
3. Choobineh, L., Jain, A., ‘An explicit analytical model for rapid computation of temperature field in a three-dimensional integrated circuit (3D IC)’, Int. J. Therm. Sci., 87, pp. 103-109, 2015. pdf
4. Gu, L., Black, B., Ordonez, S., Mondal, A., Jain, A., Mohanty, S., ‘Microfluidic control of axonal guidance’, Scientific Reports, 4, pp. 6457:1-6, 2014. pdf
5. Drake, S.J., Wetz, D.A., Ostanek, J.K., Miller, S.P., Heinzel, J.M., Jain, A., ‘Measurement of anisotropic thermophysical properties of cylindrical Li-ion cells,’ J. Power Sources, 252, pp. 298-304,2014. pdf
Contact Information :
500 W First Street
Woolf Hall, Rm 211
Arlington, TX 76019
Email: jaina AT uta DOT edu
Recent News :
[Sep 2015] Lab alumna Leila Choobineh has accepted a tenure-track faculty position at SUNY Poly.
[Sep 2015] Dr. Jain, together with Dr. Minary (UTD) and Dr. Balandin (UCR) receives an NSF grant for investigating pyroelectric energy harvesting in nanowires.
[April 2015] Divya Chalise and Bilal Ahmed are awarded the Undergraduate Research Fellowship by UTA Honors College.
[Dec 2014] Dr. Jain gives an invited talk at the US-India Workshop on Nanoengineering in Medicine, Dec 17-19, 2014 at AIIMS, New Delhi, India
[Aug 2014] Dr. Jain, together with Dr. Haiying Huang receives a DoE grant to investigate remote, wireless monitoring of boiler condition.