Skip to content

Contact Us

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the Title IV code for UT Arlington?
A: Our Title IV code is 003656.

Q: Which FAFSA should I complete?
A: Please utilize the chart below to help you determine which FAFSA you need to complete.

 Enrollment PeriodRequired FAFSARequired Tax Information
May 15, 2016 - May 13, 2017 2016-2017 FAFSA 2015 Federal Income Tax Information
May 15, 2017 - May 12, 2018 2017-2018 FAFSA 2015 Federal Income Tax Information

Q: What is the deadline for completing the FAFSA?
A: The priority grant deadline for the 2017-2018 year is April 1, 2017. Some programs, particularly grant programs, have limited funds, so the earlier we receive your application and all supporting documents, the greater the chance for you to receive funds from these programs.

Q: Now that I have completed the FAFSA, what is my next step?
A: You will receive a Student Aid Report from the U.S. Department of Education and the information will be sent to UTA if you selected us to receive the data. Once we receive the FAFSA information, we will make a financial aid award for you or we will request additional documentation if you are selected for verification. You must be admitted as a regular degree-seeking student and meet all other eligibility requirements to receive a financial aid award. Students wishing to apply for a student loan must also complete additional steps to receive loan funds and will be contacted once the loan is awarded.

Q: Do I have to apply for financial aid every year?
A: Yes, you must apply each year to ensure that the most recent information is being used to determine your financial aid eligibility.

Q: I sent in my FAFSA over three weeks ago, but haven't heard anything. What should I do?
A: If you haven't received your Student Aid Report (SAR) either electronically or by mail, go to FAFSA on the Web at and click "Check status of a submitted FAFSA." You can also call the federal processor at 1 (800) 433-3243.

Q: What is a Financial Aid Award Notification Letter?
A: The Financial Aid Award Notification Letter is the official notification of the amounts and types of financial aid offered to you.  The notification will be sent to your UTA e-mail address.

Q: What do I do when I receive my Financial Aid Award Notification e-mail?
A: You must accept the awards you wish to receive through your MyMav account in order for funds to credit to your student account. You may wish to accept some programs and decline others and can indicate your wishes as you review your awards online.  Please click each type of aid listed in your MyMav account to review the messages that include important information concerning each individual award.

Q: I transferred from another school. Does my aid transfer too?
A: Financial aid does not transfer from one school to another. However, if you have completed the FAFSA, you do not have to complete it again for the same academic year. You will need to authorize UTA to receive the information if we were not originally included on your FAFSA. You may electronically update FAFSA to add UT Arlington at, or you may bring a copy of the first page of your Student Aid Report to the Office of Financial Aid. If you no longer have a copy, you may request a duplicate through the website or by calling 1-800-433-3243. Your financial aid will be based on programs and funds available at UT Arlington.

Q: I don't live with my parents and they do not claim me as a dependent on their tax return. Do I have to provide their information?
A: You must provide your parents' information unless you answer at least one of the following questions "Yes":

  • Were you born before January 1, 1994?
  • Will you be working on a master's or doctorate degree in 2017-2018?
  • As of the day you completed the FAFSA, were you married?
  • Do you have children that receive more than half of their support from you?
  • Do you have dependents other than a spouse or children who live with you and receive more than half of their support from you?
  • When you were age 13 or older, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care or were you a dependent/ward of the court?
  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2016, were you considered a homeless youth by a certifying agency?

* For more information regarding dependency status and other criteria, please refer to Step Three of the FAFSA.

Q: What do I do if my aid is not enough when my tuition bill is due?
A: UTA offers installment plans to eligible students who do not have sufficient funds to cover the full tuition and fee balance due at the beginning of the term.  Information may be found at:

Enrollment loans are also available to eligible students from the Office of Student Accounts on the 1st floor of Davis Hall. Information may be found at:

Q: What happens if I must withdraw from UTA?
A: If you withdraw from UTA within the first 60% of a term in which you receive financial aid, you may be subject to the Return of Funds Policy. In certain situations, you may be eligible for a partial refund from UT Arlington. The Refunds for Semester Withdrawals and Dropped Courses section of the website provides specific information.

If you have any more questions, please contact us.