Skip to content

student worker

Student Employment

Work-study benefits

The University of Texas at Arlington strongly emphasizes the Federal Work Study program (FWS) for the following reasons:

  • FWS helps defray a portion of educational expenses for students and reduces reliance on student loans.
  • It enables both graduate and undergraduate students to work part-time to develop valuable skills that will enhance their education and benefit them in their career planning. 
  • FWS employers are flexible with scheduling so students can keep their education their main priority. 

Eligibility and process

  • You must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and show financial need in order to qualify for the Federal Work Study Program. 
  • Eligible students may work up to 19 hours per week at a work study position.
  • The awarded amount on your award letter is the maximum you can earn per semester.
  • Earnings are paid directly to you rather than through your student account, and you are paid twice per month for your work.
  • FWS is awarded on a first come, first served basis. Contact us if you are interested in obtaining a work-study position to see if you qualify for funding.

How to apply for jobs

Receiving a FWS award is not a guarantee of employment. Additionally, if you do not qualify for FWS or do not receive an award, you can still apply for jobs both on-campus and off-campus that are non-work study positions.

  • To apply for work-study and non-work study student employment on-campus, visit the UTA SNAP Job website.
  • To apply for work-study and non-work study student employment off-campus, visit the HIREAMAVERICK job database.

Work Study eligibility form

Once you are hired for a FWS position, your employer will need your "Work Study Eligibility Form." The form becomes available on your MyMav account 10 days prior to the start of the term.

Follow these instructions to download your work-study eligibility form:

  • Log onto the Student Center of your MyMav account.
  • Click "Accept/Decline Awards" under the "Financial Aid" section on the left hand side of the page.
  • Select the appropriate aid year.
  • The Work Study Eligibility Form will be a blue link at the bottom of the page.
  • Copy and paste the form to a Word document, then you can print it and bring it to your employer.