Greek Life Today
Since the first social fraternal organization was formed over 234 years ago, a lot has changed within the Greek system. Certainly, the number of fraternities and sororities within the United States has increased dramatically. Fraternities and sororities can be found in over 800+ colleges and universities across the country.
Along the way, the Greek system has grown to include traditionally African-American fraternities and sororities as well as other culturally based organizations. In more recent times, there has been a strong emergence of Greek letter organizations for members of the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender community.
Some interesting facts about the Greek system today:
- Greeks make up only 2% of the population.
- US Government studies show that 71% of Greek Members Graduate, while 50% of non-Greeks graduate.
- Approximately 85% of the top executives in Fortune 500 companies are Greeks.
- Of the nation's 50 largest companies, Greek members head 43 of them.
- 71% of men listed in Who's Who in America are Greek.
- 76% of the current United States Senators and Congressmen are Greeks.
- 80% of the Supreme Court Justices since 1800 have been Greeks.
- 100 (63%) of the 158 cabinet members since 1900 have been Greeks.
- All but 3 United States Presidents since 1825 have been Greeks.
- 80% of all University Alumni Donators are Greek.