Health insurance is not a requirement to be seen at Health Services. Regardless of your insurance status, all enrolled UT Arlington students are able to utilize Health Services. Visits with general medicine providers, as well as health promotion programs and education, blood pressure checks, nursing care, referral advice, and contraceptive information will continue to be offered at no additional cost. All other services will be assessed affordable fees. Health Services does not file claims for Medicaid, Medicare, Tricare or any other private insurance at this time.
The University of Texas System contracts with Academic Health Plans to provide an affordable Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) insurance plan to UT Arlington students. The insurance plan is currently underwritten by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas. Please access the Academic Health Plans' website for complete coverage information and how to enroll.
Health insurance coverage is a requirement for all international students. While students are not required to purchase the student health insurance plan, it is the only insurance currently accepted at Health Services. The student health insurance plan offered by UT System meets all requirements under the Affordable Care Act. Students with other insurance plans will have to pay out-of-pocket for the services they receive at Health Services.
Treatment at Health Services
The annual deductible is waived for covered expenses incurred at Health Services. This coverage includes most lab tests, x-rays, women’s health services, immunizations, psychological counseling, and psychiatry visits.
Many procedures and diagnostic services (ex. lab, x-ray, EKG) performed at Health Services are covered at 100% by student health insurance; diagnostic services requested by the patient are generally not covered when such services are not part of the treatment plan recommended by the provider.
$30 preferred brand-name*
$50 non-preferred brand-name*
*Copayment plus the cost difference between the brand-name drug or supplies per prescription for which there is a generic drug or supply available.
Treatment at Another Facility
When it is necessary to receive treatment at a facility other than Health Services, an annual deductible of $500 (in-network)/$1000 (out-of-network) per covered person, per policy year must be met before the Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) insurance plan begins to pay for covered services you use. The out-of-pocket maximum is $6,600 in-network and $13,200 out-of-network. Please refer to the Academic Blue Health Plan Brochure to better understand your coverage.
- Health concerns don’t always follow an 8-to-5 schedule. Fortunately, registered nurses are on call at 1-800-581-0368 to answer your health questions, wherever you may be, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The 24/7 Nurseline’s registered nurses can understand your health concerns and give general health tips. Get trusted guidance on possible emergency care, urgent care and more. Please note, this benefit is only available to students covered by student health insurance.
- When seeking treatment outside of the student health center (ex. during after-hours or University closures), please use the Provider Finder resource from Blue Cross Blue Shield to find in-network doctors and hospitals in your area. Please note, co-payments, deductibles, and out-of-pocket expenses are applicable when receiving treatment outside of the student health center. Please review the Academic Blue Health Plan Brochure for more information.
Note: Only enrolled UT Arlington students are eligible to utilize Health Services. Spouses and dependents cannot receive treatment at Health Services unless they are also enrolled UT Arlington students.
ENROLLMENT for 2016-2017 coverage
Students can enroll in Academic Health Plans (AHP) student health insurance online by visiting http://uta.myahpcare.com/enrollment. International students cannot enroll online; please contact the Office of International Education for more information on enrolling.
Enrollment periods for 2016-2017 AHP are as follows:
Fall: 06/01/2016 - 10/01/2016
Spring: 11/01/2016 - 02/28/2017
Summer: 04/01/2017 - 06/15/2017
Please note: Spring/Summer coverage is grouped together; it cannot be purchased separately.
Students purchasing AHP prior to the coverage start date will have their plans effective on the plan coverage start date.
- Students purchasing AHP after the coverage start date, during the open enrollment period, will be covered the day the company receives the premium payment.
- Students who do not purchase by the last day of the enrollment period will have to wait to purchase AHP until the next semester Open Enrollment Period.
- A monthly payment option is only available for the full annual premium, all other enrollment options must pay the full premium amount for the semester selected. Please call AHP at (855) 247-7587 for more information on signing up for the monthly payment option.
- Annual Premium (Coverage is 8/15/16 - 8/14/17.) = $2185
- Fall Premium (Coverage is 8/15/16 - 12/31/16.) = $833
- Spring/Summer Premium (Coverage is 1/1/17 - 8/14/17.) = $1352
- Summer Premium (Coverage is 5/15/17 - 8/14/17.) = $550