Question mark

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: What can I do with a degree in History?

A: While many of our graduates pursue careers in Education, a Bachelor of Arts in History opens almost any door into the professional world. History students learn much more than simple facts about the subjects they study; they also acquire a set of foundational skills that can be transferred to future vocations in business, law, public service, or the private sector. Studying the past through documents, images, and new media imparts abilities to comprehend and analyze information accurately and quickly, to recognize nuance and interpret opposing viewpoints, to communicate clearly in the written and spoken word, and to undertake original research in an efficient and organized fashion. These abilities are essential for well-educated citizens and successful professionals.

Q: What are the differences in the degree plans?

A: The History Department offers three degree plans: The History BA, a comprehensive and flexible degree plan which allows students to guide their own course of study; The Legal History Track BA which prepares students for law school and careers in law by focusing on legal history and related subjects; and the History BA with Social Studies Teaching Certification for those students who wish to become educators at the secondary level (7-12) following graduation.

Q: I’m having trouble enrolling in a freshman-level course, what is the problem?

A: English 1301 is a prerequisite for our freshman-level U.S. History survey courses, HIST 1311 and 1312. If you have taken the equivalent of ENGL 1301 at another institution and transferred the credit, the system may not immediately recognize it and allow you to enroll. If you believe this is the case, contact one of the History advisors via email or in person, and we’ll take care of it for you.

In other instances, please be aware that many of our HIST 1311 and 1312 sections are reserved for Nursing majors enrolled in the university’s RN-BSN program. These are labelled “dynamic courses,” and have distinct 700 section numbers. These courses are not available for open enrollment.

Q: How long will it take me to graduate?

A: Well, that depends...The “typical” course load is 15 credit hours per semester or approximately 30 hours per academic year. Some students take fewer, while others take more or, in some cases, complete courses during summer and winter sessions. (Note: the History BA with Social Studies Teaching Certification requires both three semesters of coursework in the School of Education, as well as that certain courses be taken in certain semesters. These semesters should be accounted for when calculating your expected graduation date.) As a general rule, however, completing your degree in History should not take longer than any other undergraduate degree at UTA.

Q: Can you help with dropping a course?

A: Students are free to add and drop courses during the late registration period themselves through MyMav. They can add and drop courses with no academic penalty through census date with the assistance of an advisor. After census date, a student will receive a “W” for dropping a course, and will be subject to the six-drop limit policy. Students may drop courses all the way up to last drop date.

Key dates can be found on the University Academic Calendar.

Q: Is Math a requirement?

A: Yes, two Math courses are required as part of the university core. A list of suitable courses can be found on your History degree plan. Philosophy 2311 (Logic) can be substituted for one MATH credit.

Q: Am I required to have a minor?

A: Yes, a minor is required for the History BA and the Legal History Track BA. The History Department offers a number of minors that can be added to your degree plan, though students can seek minors in other departments as well. You must contact an advisor in the department of your minor to find out its course requirements and to have the minor added.

A minor is not required for the History BA with Social Studies Teaching Certification. In place of a minor, students take three semesters of education coursework.

Q: What can I do if I struggle with Math or Language?

A: Everyone has different learning styles and strengths. For those who may struggle with Math, Science, or Languages, the university offers numerous of resources that students can take advantage of for little to no cost. For information on individualized tutoring visit the University College Learning Center.