T H E L I S T
- Acute appendicitis (Wembley, England, March 1955).
- Gratuitously exuberant celebration of Villanova's basketball victory over St. Bonaventure, National Invitational Tournament (New York City, March 1968).
- A quarter-kilo of raw peanuts, several glasses of ouzo and an entrée of octopus boiled in its ink (Kiladha, Greece, August 1972).
- Lunch of Fried Tendersweet Clams and highly suspicious tartar sauce consumed at a HoJo (off I-75, northwest of Atlanta, December 1978).
- A really nasty case of blackwater fever (Alexandria, Egypt, July 1981).
- Riding with old friend and rallye driver wannabe James C. Wright over the switchback mountain roads of Euboea following a large midday meal of grilled fish, feta and fried potatoes (near Psakhná, Greece, July 2001).
- The Reverend Jerry Falwell (more or less chronically over the last twenty years).
- Dolly Parton's spiritual version of "Stairway to Heaven" (January 2003). What purpose can possibly be served by covering the worst song in the history of Western music?
- The pillaging of the Baghdad Museum (April 2003).
- California (October 7, 2003). What in God's name were the voters thinking?
- Super Bowl XXXVIII: (a) The astronaut climbing onto the tiny moonscape to plant the flag in slo-mo during the pre-game National Anthem; and (b) the halftime show, which gave new meaning to the term "wretched excess," even by Super Bowl standards (February 1, 2004).
- Abu Ghraib. The whole sickie bag.
Return to Petruso Homepage