Library Assistant I
Job DescriptionTITLE: Library Assistant I
JOB CODE: 8072
FLSA STATUS: NE
EEO6 CODE: 4 = Secretarial/Clerical
GRADE: Pay Grade 5
PAY PLAN: Annually
PURPOSE: Responsible for performing paraprofessional duties requiring a basic knowledge of general library services, a working knowledge of specific areas of the library to accomplish a variety of tasks within that area, judgment to carry out procedures of limited complexity which may require choices of methodology within stated guidelines.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Checks materials in and out of the Library; accepts money, provides change and creates receipts for fines and fees; creates and updates patron records in support of the circulation module of the Library; and assists in purchasing library materials using vendor online database. Identifies and locates materials and updates records in accordance with library services procedures; place books in order, sensitizing books, and shelving books in stacks; and processes reserve materials. Disseminates accurate information to users of Library and University on policies and procedures. Provides instruction to enable Library clientele to use the online catalog for locating materials. Provides technical support for printers. Receives new materials for the Library including checking shipments and invoices for accuracy; delivering materials and creating invoices in local database. Prepares material and arranges for shipment to a commercial bindery; maintain records of bindery shipments; and assists in deciding specifications for each item to be bound. Contributes to planning and the establishment of policy and procedure for a specific area in the unit or department.
REQUIRED EDUCATION: $education
REQUIRED EDUCATION-OTHER: High School graduation or GED. 2 years related experience*, 60 credit hours of college substitutes for 1 year of experience. A bachelor's degree substitutes for 2 years of required experience.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE / COMPETENCIES-OTHER:
INTERNAL CONTROL: Within the scope of position duties, responsible for seeing that operations are effective and efficient, assets are safeguarded, reliable financial data is maintained, and applicable laws, regulations, policies, and procedures are followed.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Related experience includes performing functions which involve data interpretation, information provision, customer service, data input, problem resolution, and a variety of complex clerical procedures. These duties may have been performed in a library setting, office setting, or some other appropriate setting. For public service positions (i.e. those positions involving direct user interactions), customer service experience will be given additional weight. Usual library conditions. Some positions may require night and/or weekend work. Some positions may have special requirements for lifting, bending, reaching, moving book trucks, and may include exposure to book mold and dust. Accurate keyboarding is required. Accuracy in spelling, giving verbal information, entering facts and figures. Proficiency in all phases of the duties performed.
News and Announcements
- Join us for UT System Founders Day 2014!
- Merit Increase Guidelines for FY 14-15
- Holiday Schedule and Vacation Regulations for 2014-2015
- LGBTQA Program
- Wellness at UTA
- Affordable Care Act (ACA) Resources
- 2014 Performance Review Memorandum
- Outstanding Maverick Awards Program
- New Criminal Background Check Procedure
- University Opens Lactation Rooms
- UT Arlington Named Fit-Friendly Worksite
- Change to Cafeteria Plan
- Tobacco Free
- Retirees Club
- Dearborn National Offers Online Services
- Using Your UT EID and UT Direct Self Service Features
Benefits and Services
- Affordable Care Act (ACA)
- News About Your Benefits
- UT Arlington Work/Life Balance Resources
- Employee Assistance Program
- 2014-2015 Holiday Schedule and Vacation Regulations
- Benefits of Working at UT Arlington
- Employee Tuition Assistance Plan
- Wellness Programs
- Retirees Club
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) for Faculty and Staff
- Criminal Background Checks
Compensation and Employee Relations
- Pay Plan and Job Descriptions
- Performance Management Guide
- Merit Increase Guidlines FY2015
- Employee Separation Process
- Exit Interview Program