What is the S.E.C.C.?
Thanks to legislation that created the State Employee Charitable Campaign in 1993, state agency and university employees in Texas enjoy the benefit of giving to many of their favorite charities through an annual workplace giving campaign featuring the convenience of payroll deduction.
- It's an easy, effective and cost-efficient way to give to charity.
- Our contributions help improve the quality of life for people in communities locally, across the country and around the world.
- The campaign supports a wide variety of vital health and human services.
- All charities in the campaign must meet strict eligibility criteria.
How does it work?
Each fall, we get the opportunity to learn about the charities in the S.E.C.C., choose which ones we want to help, and then fill out a pledge form or donate online to indicate how much we wish to donate to which groups. We can make a one-time gift by cash or check. Or, even better, our gift can be deducted from each paycheck (by doing it online or by filling out a form) beginning at the first of next year. The campaign runs from September 13 through October 31 at UT Arlington. During this time period, you can expect to attend an informational meeting or be approached by a co-worker with information and a pledge form.
What charities are involved?
- They are local, state, national and international groups.
- They are recognized by the IRS as 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations and registered with the Secretary of State.
- They are audited (or reviewed) annually by an accountant in accordance with generally accepted accounting practices.
- They provide direct or indirect health and human services.
- They spend no more than 25 percent of funds raised on administration and fund-raising unless they qualify for a one-year exception due to special circumstances.
Why should I give?
- To help those who are less fortunate through no fault of their own.
- To support a favorite cause or charity on a regular basis.
- It's the right thing to do.
- It will make you feel great.
- It's tax deductible.
The benefits of payroll deduction:
- Payroll deduction offers a special opportunity to do more and feel it less.
- It helps minimize costs while maximizing your contribution.
- It saves time and takes little effort.
- Your support of the S.E.C.C. is voluntary.
- You can do it online.
If you feel you are being coerced to donate money at any time during this campaign, please submit a written complaint to: Carole Keeton Strayhorn, Comptroller of Public Accounts, 111 E. 17th Street, Austin, Texas 78774.
Content for this page adapted with permission from Texas Tech University © 1997-2006 Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas, All Rights Reserved
News and Announcements
Benefits and Services
- News About Your Benefits
- UT Arlington Work/Life Balance Resources
- Employee Assistance Plan
- 2012-2013 Holiday Schedule and Vacation Regulations
- Benefits of Working at UT Arlington
- Employee Tuition Assistance Plan
- Wellness Programs
- Retirees Club