Dr. Susan Ferreira
Office: Woolf Hall, 420 P
|Ph.D.||Industrial Engineering, Arizona State University, 2002|
|M.S.||Industrial Engineering, Arizona State University, 1990|
|B.S.||Industrial Engineering, Arizona State University, 1987|
|2012-Present||Associate Professor, The University of Texas at Arlington|
|2006-2012||Assistant Professor, The University of Texas at Arlington|
|2003-2006||Systems Engineer, Lockheed Martin Integrated Systems & Solutions, Systems Engineering Department|
|1996-2002||Senior Systems Engineer, General Dynamics (formerly Motorola IISG), Integrated Systems Division (ISD), Engineering Department|
|1990-1996||Systems Analyst / Senior Industrial Engineer / Network Analyst, Motorola IISG|
|1988-1990||Operations Fellowship Engineer, Motorola IISG, Strategic Electronics Division|
|1987-1988||Industrial Engineer, Northrop Corporation, Aircraft Division|
Dr. Ferreira is the Founding Director of the Systems Engineering Research Center. Prior to joining academia, Dr. Ferreira worked as a Systems Engineer in the defense industry on complex software intensive systems. In addition to Systems Engineering research and teaching activities, Dr. Ferreira is also involved in course development for UTA's Master of Science Degree in Systems Engineering and advises Ph.D. students focused on Systems Engineering research.
Systems Engineering including systems thinking, systems engineering process simulation, requirements engineering, architecture and systems engineering effectiveness. Domain focus areas include systems of systems and complex software intensive systems engineering.
Dr. Ferreira is a member of INCOSE, IEEE Computer Society, IIE, Tau Beta Pi, Alpha Pi Mu, Alpha Lambda Delta, Phi Kappa Phi, and Golden Key.
- Smart, C. and Ferreira, S., Constructing A General Framework for Systems Engineering Strategy, Journal of Systems Engineering (accepted for publication).
- Faezipour, M. and Ferreira, S., Applying Systems Thinking to Assess Sustainability in Healthcare System of Systems, International Journal of System of Systems Engineering (accepted for publication).
- Ferreira, S., Shunk, D., Collofello, J., Mackulak, G., and Dueck, A., 2010, Reducing the Risk of Requirements Volatility: Findings from an Empirical Survey, Journal of Software Maintenance and Evolution: Research and Practice, DOI: 10.1002/smr.515.
- Smartt, C., and Ferreira, S., 2010, Advancing Systems Engineering in Support of the Bid and Proposal Process, Journal of Systems Engineering, DOI: 10.1002/sys.20177.
- Doelling, K. and Ferreira, S., 2010, Advancing the Integration of Systems Engineering and Knowledge Management, Systems Research Forum, Vol. 4, Issue 1, June, DOI: 10.1142/S1793966610000144.
- Ferreira, S., Collofello, J., Shunk, D., Mackulak, G., 2009, Understanding the Effects of Requirements Volatility in Software Engineering by using Analytical Modeling and Software Process Simulation, Journal of Systems and Software, Vol. 82, Issue 10, October.
- Sarder, MD. B., Martin, A., Yenduri, S., Ferreira, S., Quality Sacrifices: A Look at Quality Issues Experience in Global Outsourcing, International Journal of Production Research, Accepted for publication (May 2010).
- Houston, D.X., Ferreira, S., Montgomery, D.C. 2005, Using Unreplicated 2k-p Designs for Characterizing Moderately-Dimensioned Deterministic Computer Models, Quality and Reliability Engineering International, Vol. 25, December: 809-824.
- Conference Papers
- Ferreira, S. and Faezipour, M., 2011, The Development of an Architecture Framework for Systems Engineering Process Simulators, 2011 International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE) Symposium.
- Ferreira, S. and Tejeda, J., 2011, An Ontology for Unmanned and Autonomous Systems of Systems Test and Evaluation, 2011 International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE) Symposium.
- Ferreira, S. and Tejeda, J., 2011, An Evolving Understanding for Predicting Emergent Properties, 2011 IEEE International Systems Conference.
- Smartt, C. and Ferreira, S., 2011, The Archetypes of Systems Engineering Strategy, 2011 Conference on Systems Engineering Research.
- Faezipour, M. and Ferreira, S., 2011, A Systems Thinking Approach to Address Sustainability in Healthcare Systems, 2011 Conference on Systems Engineering Research.
- Tejeda, J. and Ferreira, S., 2011, Ideas for a Decision Support System for Predicting Undersirable Emergent Properties, 2011 Conference on Systems Engineering Research.
- Ferreira, S. and Tejeda, J., 2011, An Ontology Model for Characterizing Emergent Properties from a Systems Engineering Perspective, 2011 Conference on Systems Engineering Research.
- Ferreira, S. 2010, Prospects for Systems Engineering Process Dynamics, 2010 IEEE Systems Conference.
- Ferreira, S. 2010, The Development of a Systems Engineering Process Simulator Using System Dynamics, 2010 Conference on Systems Engineering Research.
- Ferreira, S., Valerdi, R., Medvidovic, N., Hess, J., Deonandan, I., Mikaelian, T., and Shull, G. 2010, Unmanned and Autonomous Systems of Systems Test and Evaluation: Challenges and Opportunities, 2010 IEEE Systems Conference. (INCOSE Track)
- Smartt, C. and Ferreira, S. 2010, Leveraging Psychology and Software Engineering Research to Develop Bid, Proposal, and Cost Estimation Heuristics for Systems Engineering, 2010 Conference on Systems Engineering Research.
- Doelling, K. and Ferreira, S. 2010, Advancing the Integration of Systems Engineering and Knowledge Management, 2010 Conference on Systems Engineering Research.
- Ferreira, Susan and Sarder, MD. 2008. Using DKAP to Develop a Foundation Systems Engineering Ontology. 2008 Conference on Systems Engineering Research.
- Sarder, MD and Ferreira, Susan. 2007. Developing Systems Engineering Ontologies. IEEE 2007 System of Systems Symposium.