One contact a week makes a difference!
Be a mentor in the UTA-HOSTS! program. We'll match you with a new freshman or transfer student in your major this fall for you to mentor. You're there to answer questions about life at UTA (you know, all those questions you had when you started here)—how to get involved, how to navigate all the campus resources, where to go for a quiet place to study, how to sign up for class, etc.
Mentor online applications are now closed for the Fall 2015- Spring 2016 School Year. They will reopen in Summer of 2016 for the 2016-2017 academic year.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered as a UTA-HOSTS! Mentor you must:
- Have attended UTA for 2 semesters
- Cumulative 2.5 GPA.
- Attend a mentor training session or complete the online mentor training and quiz
- Turn in all required checkup forms throughout the mentoring process
Expectations of Mentors
- Contact mentee weekly via any method: email, phone, text messaging, face-to-face contact, (such as meeting in hallways during class, lunch in UC, social events)
- Keep commitments to mentee
- Acquaint your mentee to the UTA life from your perspective
- Monitor mentee’s progress
- Assist in the development of skills necessary for mentees to succeed in college
- Communicate university resources and services to mentee
- Accompany mentee to program activities, if at all possible, such as mixers and other events
- Complete check-up forms according to program requirements
- Maintain confidentiality in your relationship unless there is a serious concern
- Provide feedback to HOSTS! Program coordinators especially if you are unable to contact your mentee
- Provide support, guidance, encouragement and information to your mentee
All mentors and mentees are required to attend the UTA-HOSTS! Mix & Match event.. During this event, participants will have the opportunity to meet people with similar majors and interests though planned activities. At the end of the event, participants will submit a request for the mentor or mentee they choose to be matched with. Please e-mail email@example.com prior to the event if you have a class during the event.
Group trainings will be available for new mentors each spring. Online training is also available through our new UTA-HOSTS! Blackboard Organization. Once you have registered as a mentor, we will grant you access to the new UTA-HOSTS! Blackboard Organization. This portal offers online training, discussion boards, reminders, and locations to submit your check-up forms for all UTA-HOSTS! mentors.