Skip to content. Skip to main navigation.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Is there a campus office for LGBTQIA+ student services?

Yes! Multicultural Affairs and LGBTQA Program actively fosters education, advocacy, and programming centered on affirming and celebrating our diverse campus community and creating inclusive spaces.

University Center Suite B150


Q. I am new to UTA or I’m thinking about becoming a Maverick and I identify within the LGBTQIA+ spectrum. What is the campus like for LGBTQIA+ students?

Every person has their own story and set of experiences, so providing a definite answer to this question is incredibly difficult. Similar to all academic institutions, the cultural climate will vary across social groups, departments, and classrooms. If you’d like to speak with someone about your own journey and what campus life is all about, contact Multicultural Affairs and LGBTQA Program.

Q. How can I get involved?

The primary way to get involved is to sign up for our weekly emails that promote upcoming events and volunteer opportunities. You should also register for one of the Maverick Ally trainings. If you’re looking for leadership opportunities and experience, consider applying for a Pride Peer position. The application and interview process is done at the beginning of each semester.

Q. Does the LGBTQA Program provide counseling or psychiatric counseling services?

No, LGBTQA Program focuses on education, advocacy, and programming. However, we can refer you to providers on and off campus.

Q. Can I major in Queer Studies at UTA?

Currently, UTA does not offer a major or minor in queer studies. However, we do offer a Women and Gender Studies minor for undergraduate students and a graduate certificate in Women and Gender Studies for students enrolled in Masters or PhD programs.

Q. Does UTA offer a specific scholarship for LGBTQIA students?

The LGBTQA program offers students an opportunity to apply for a scholarship each spring semester. Please check our website in February for the application.

Q. Are there any gender neutral, unisex, or single stall restrooms on campus?

Yes there are, buildings and room numbers can be located using this link. Or found by looking at the UTA Campus map and clicking the unisex bathroom option.

Q. If I have legally changed my name with court documentation, where do I take the documentation to officially change my name with the University?

Please contact Kasey Catlett,, for more information and assistance.

Q. If I haven’t or I am unable to legally change my name, am I able to use my preferred/chosen name at UTA?

The registrar currently only uses student's legal names and requires legal documentation in order to change a name in the university system. Please contact Kasey Catlett,, for more information and assistance.

Q. How do I talk to my professors about my chosen/preferred name?

We have included a sample email below to help anyone interested in emailing their professors. If you experience any difficulties, please reach out to any of the professional staff within the LGBTQA Program. Hello, Professor [Insert Name Here], I am a student in your [class name], [section number]. My name will show up on your roster as [insert legal/dead-name name here]; but my chosen name is [insert chosen name here] and I use [insert pronouns here] pronouns. I would prefer that everyone use that name in class, as I will respond to and use it on all of my assignments. Using my legal/birth name, or dead-name, on attendance rosters/group assignments puts me into an awkward and potentially dangerous situation.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me. You can also contact Kasey Catlett with the UTA LGBTQA Program at with questions and/or for resources. I look forward to your class this semester.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

Q. Does UTA student, faculty, and staff medical insurance cover transition related healthcare?

Currently, UTA health insurance does cover hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and access to mental healthcare.

Q. If I’ve experienced discrimination based on my gender or sexual identity, what resources are available to me? What is the procedure for reporting discrimination or a bias incident?

· Multicultural Affairs and LGBTQA Program:

University Center, B150 – (817) 272-2099 –

· Emergencies: Call 911

· Campus Police: (817) 272-3003 (emergency) – (817) 272-3381 (non-emergency) · Anonymous Reporting: Silent Witness

· RVSP (Relationship Violence and Sexual Assault Prevention): Education, Advocacy, Support Click here to file a report with RSVP Click here for RVSP Contact Information

Q. If I have questions that are not listed here, where can I get answers?

Reach out to us in any of these ways:

Visit: Multicultural Affairs and LGBTQA Program – University Center LL B150 (M-F 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.)

Call: 817.272.2099 (M-F 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.)