Vision, Mission, & Values
In the College of Liberal Arts - CoLA, we use creative, interdisciplinary approaches to address the challenges of a complex, global society.
COLA departments and centers cluster into the social sciences, humanities, and fine arts. They are comprised of highly skilled faculty and students who are dedicated to elevating the human condition through research, scholarship, and creative activity. Throughout the college, we cultivate the following values and skills:
- Local Engagement and Global Thinking. Foster a community-based understanding at UTA, in DFW, throughout the state, and on a global level. This capacity encourages students to act locally while being globally conscious.
- Creativity and Innovation. Ensure students are engaging and cultivating various pursuits in entrepreneurship and artistic expression.
- Inclusiveness and Diversity. Encourage an environment that is open to diverse backgrounds, ideas, and ways of thinking. Teaching respect, empathy, and tolerance for all people and cultures develops thoughtful, well rounded students and citizens.
- Community and Collaboration. Provide students with the ability to examine their place and space in the world. Cultivating partnerships and collaborative efforts produces an impact on society and helps students in an increasingly global, ever-changing world and workplace.
- Curiosity and Imagination. Speak to allowing the brain to roam free, question unexpectedly, think divergently instead of convergently, and not be afraid to express one’s self and ideas.
- Critical Thinking and Problem-Solving. Foster inquiry into the attitudes and ideas that shape contemporary society. These skills facilitate bold ideas, challenge conventional thought, and reveal the process of finding solutions to complex issues.
- Comprehension, Interpretation, and Analysis. Create deep thought of written, oral, and visual material. Once mastered, students demonstrate a high level of cognitive ability.
- Leadership, Teamwork, and Effective Communication. Promote work habits and character traits commonly associated with 21st century skills.
- Technological and Digital Tools. Enrich tremendous knowledge in social/media, the Internet, computer programming, computer hardware and software, applications (apps), and future technologies.
- Research and Professional Expertise. Highlight scientific, social science, and humanities literacy and reasoning and advance disciplinary and interdisciplinary knowledge.