UT Arlington Libraries Expectations for User and Visitor Conduct
The University of Texas at Arlington Libraries are committed to providing users with a safe, welcoming physical environment to promote life-long learning and an atmosphere conducive to study and research. Users and visitors are expected to engage in behavior that does not interfere with these efforts and that does not result in the improper use of the Libraries' facilities. Users and visitors are also expected to abide by all relevant University policies, state and federal laws, and those general principles that guide civil behavior and discourse in an academic environment. To ensure that all users and visitors are able to use the University Libraries' resources and services effectively, the UT Arlington Libraries require full compliance with the rules and regulations listed below. Entering the Libraries represents a tacit agreement to abide by these rules.
- Library users and visitors are to observe all posted rules of library use, including, but not limited to, restrictions related to cell phone use, use of quiet study areas and group study rooms, and computer use.
- Cell phones and other mobile units may not be used in the third and fifth floor quiet study areas or in Special Collections; audible ringers are to be turned off while owners are in these areas.
- Furniture, equipment, and facilities are to be used in an appropriate manner and as designed. Thus, public restrooms are not to be used as bathing facilities or for doing laundry; the Libraries are not to be used as a place to sleep. Aisles, walk spaces and stairwells are to remain freely passable at all times.
- A parent or guardian must supervise children under age 14.
- Preventing or limiting access to library resources through theft, vandalism, or deliberate misplacement of materials.
- Defacing, destroying, or corrupting any of the UT Arlington Libraries' information resources.
- Inappropriate use of the Internet that violates the UT Arlington Libraries Internet Policy.
- Occupying the Libraries' computers for personal or recreational use when others are waiting, except in the Sam's Click Café area of the Central Library.
- Damaging equipment or furniture.
- Bringing cooking equipment such as crock pots or other appliances into any facility of the UT Arlington Libraries.
- Littering or not stashing trash in provided trash bins.
- Conducting disruptive meetings in the Libraries' group study rooms or public spaces.
- Being in unauthorized areas of the Libraries, or remaining in the Libraries after closing, or when requested to leave during emergency situations or drills.
- Tampering with emergency mechanisms (fire alarms, alarms in elevators, or opening emergency exits in non-emergency situations).
- Using tobacco, alcohol or controlled substances.
- Carrying firearms or other weapons or potentially hazardous instruments.
- Using rollerblades, skateboards, or bicycles in the Libraries.
- Selling, soliciting, or distributing materials without prior approval of the Libraries administration.
- Bringing animals into any facility of the UT Arlington Libraries, except for certified assistance animals.
- Any conduct that constitutes a violation of a federal, state, or local law, the Regents' Rules and Regulations of The University of Texas System or the rules and regulations of the University.
All portable items such as backpacks, bags, or briefcases may be subject to inspection by campus security officers and Libraries staff. Proper identification may be requested by any staff member and must be presented upon request. Users or visitors whose conduct or activities violate the above expectations will be asked to modify their behavior or leave the Libraries. Failure to comply with these rules and regulations may result in the loss of library privileges in addition to other legal consequences. The Libraries will pursue infractions or misconduct through campus disciplinary channels and/or law enforcement as appropriate.
The UT Arlington Libraries policies relevant to the above expectations include, but are not limited to, the following: