Skip to content. Skip to main navigation.

MAE Undergraduate Advising

Advising Appointments

Students are encouraged to make an appointment to see an advisor or visit the Advising Office (204 Woolf Hall) for assistance from advising staff. To make an appointment, email or call the MAE Advising Office at (817) 272-2561.  

Undergraduate Pre-Registration Advising Packets

For undergraduate advising matters, email the ME and AE Advisors at

Undergraduate Advisors

Dr. Zhen Zue Han Dr. Zhen Xue Han | Faculty Profile
Senior Lecturer and AE Undergraduate Advisor | WH 204B | (817) 272-7376

Dr. Miguel Amaya Dr. Miguel Amaya | Faculty Profile
Senior Lecturer and ME Undergraduate Advisor | WH 204D | (817) 272-9266

Dr. Nancy Michael Dr. Nancy Michael | Faculty Profile
Senior Lecturer, ME Undergraduate Advisor | WH 204C | (817) 272-1258

Important Advising Information

Pre-Registration Advising

The MAE Advising Office will hold special pre-registration advising weeks every semester. Current ME and AE students will be notified each semester by official UTA e-mail of the pre-registration advising schedule. Students must come by the MAE Advising Office to sign-up in advance for an advising time. Advising packets will be included in the email, and available online. Students should bring a completed pre-registration advising form to the appointment after having checked for time conflicts and that pre-requisites have been met. Missed appointments will not be rescheduled until the pre-registration weeks are over.

All MAE undergraduate students must have at least one personal meeting with their advisor each semester. Students will not be allowed to register for MAE courses until cleared by an advisor. 

To change a course after the student has been advised, a student must complete and submit a new course change form with signature. If unable to come by room 204 Woolf Hall to fill out a new course change form, a student may complete, sign, and return the form either by fax or e-mail with attachment to fax: 817-272-2952 or e-mail: Please do not e-mail the advisor directly.

After grades post, it is the student's responsibility to drop a course for which he/she is registered after failing a course prerequisite(s) and if necessary, make an appointment to discuss courses for the coming semester.

During late registration, students may drop, add or change sections using MyMav.

After late registration, a student will not be permitted to add a course for credit or make a section change. Drops after late registration require several signatures. Forms are available in the MAE advising office (204 WH).

Other information

The senior mechanical engineering design project (MAE 4287 and MAE 4188) must be taken consecutively and within the last three semesters (including summer session) of graduation.

Some professional courses are only offered once per year, so semesters should be carefully planned to avoid delay in graduation. This is common for aerospace engineering professional courses. Consult course catalog, an advisor, or the flow chart for more information.

Admission into the Professional Program

The College of Engineering recognizes two distinct levels in the program of study leading to the Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering. The principal feature of the bi-level engineering curriculum structure is that certain admission criteria must be satisfied before credit can be earned in the professional program. These criteria are distinct from the general University requirements; see the Undergraduate Catalog.

Hereafter, the term "pre-professional courses" is used for courses required in the first two years of the degree program as specified by the department, and the term "professional courses" is used for courses required in the third and fourth years of the degree program.

For advancement to the ME and AE professional program, students must meet the following requirements:

Academic performance:
Students must have completed all pre-professional courses with a grade of C or better, complied with the Three-Attempt Rule, and achieved a minimum three-calculation GPA of 2.25.

Limitations on Enrollment:
The University and the College of Engineering reserve the right to limit enrollment in any program, based on the availability of facilities and staff. To achieve such limitations, grade point averages and other measures of student potential beyond the minimum stated above may be applied.

Taking professional level courses prior to completion of the preprofessional program:
Students who have not completed all pre-professional courses may, with advisor approval, be allowed to take professional courses during the semester in which the final pre-professional courses are completed. Approval to continue in the professional program will be based on the academic performance criteria given above.

Change of Major Program of Study

Undergraduate students who wish to change their major program of study must have the approval of the proposed major department to initiate the change. A student may request a change of major at any time during a semester; however, if the form is processed after the 12th week of classes, the new major may not appear on University records until the following semester.

An academic unit may require students to change their major program of study if the students do not meet the academic standards or the professional conduct standards of the unit.

Grade Forgiveness

The Grade Forgiveness Policy went into effect on the first day of classes of the Fall 2013 semester and is available to incoming undergraduate students (freshman and transfer) whose initial enrollment at UT Arlington began in the Fall 2013 term and thereafter. This policy applies only to courses taken at UT Arlington.

For continuing UTA students whose initial enrollment at UT Arlington occurred prior to Fall 2006, the present Grade Replacement policies remain in effect.

For continuing UTA students whose initial enrollment at UT Arlington occurred prior to Fall 2013, the present Grade Exclusion policies remain in effect.

Students subject to this policy must contact their academic advisor, who files the Grade Forgiveness petition on their behalf. All Grade Forgiveness requests submitted during the term must be submitted by the last day to drop a course to be processed that term.

Students have to be enrolled on Census Date for their Grade Forgiveness petition to be processed in that term. See the academic calendar for Census Date and Last Drop Date information.

This policy is for undergraduate students only.

For further information, please visit: