GK-12 MAVS Student Outreach
SAM HOUSTON HIGH SCHOOL MATH CLUB
Mathematically Aligned Vertical Strands (MAVS)
Connecting Mathematics Research, Pedagogy and Outreach
for Gk-12 Fellows and Teachers
click here to download the presentation
GK-12 MAVS Outreach Component:
Promoting outreach activities complementing the scope of the MAVS fellows’ work in the schools.
To further expand the graduate fellows' leadership development they take part in outreach activities at Sam Houston High School (SHHS) independent of their mentor teachers. In total, these outreach activities comprise approximately three school contact hours per month for each MAVS fellow. Moreover, MAVS fellows sharpen their own mentoring skills as they work with eager high school students.
The initial cohort of graduate fellows established the SHHS Math Club by recruiting student members and targeting twice monthly meetings during 2010. Kristen Beck, 2009-2010 GK-12 Fellow, took on the leadership role by preparing, advertising and conducting activities. Other SHHS GK-12 Fellows assisted her during the Math Club meetings. In addition to hands-on activities the GK-12 Fellows were able to connect with the students on a one-to-one basis regarding college life, their individual experiences, struggles and successes.
The goal of the Math Club is to further stimulate interest in mathematics while providing insider knowledge for students about being successful in college. For students historically underrepresented in the mathematics-based disciplines this type of interaction is essential (Epperson, 1999).
- Geo-Orig-who? : Geometric Origami
- Geometry on other surfaces: lets get it straight
- Math Club Kickoff Meeting
- Charlie & his Candy Factory(fun with stats)
- SSH Math Club
- Math Club Activity The Amazing Race
- A Mathematical Treasure Hunt
- Are the Odds Stacked Against You?
- Geometric Origami Part 1
- Geometric Origami Part 2
- Math n (the art of) M.C. Escher = Symmetry
- How Many Colors Does It Take?
- Fun With Fractals!
- PHiZZ Units and Modular Polyhedra
- Mathematical Fallacies
- All About Pi!
- Puzzles Galore!
- Scavenger Hunt!
- Come Learn How to Play Set
- Cryptography: The Science of Code Making and Code Breaking
SHHS Math Club activities planned for year two are:
- The UT Arlington Mathematical Association of America (MAA) undergraduate student chapter will meet with SHHS Math Club in March during Annual Celebration of Excellence by Students (ACES) on the UTA Campus for Math Day
- Connecting the SHHS Math Club with The UT Arlington Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) graduate student chapter to further promote the seamless transitions desired in vertical alignment efforts.