Frequently Asked Questions
- Why should I complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?
Because demonstrated financial need is an eligibility requirement for this scholarship program.
- How do I know if I qualify for federal financial aid?
The University of Texas at Arlington has a Cost of Attendance (COA) and you will have an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC), which is calculated on your FAFSA. If COA minus EFC is positive (i.e., COA - EFC > 0), you qualify for federal aid.
- How will I know if I have received the S-STEM scholarship?
S-STEM Scholarship recipients will be notified in writing that they have been selected and will be required to sign a contract indicating their commitment to the SURGE program. Each scholarship is awarded on a yearly basis (up to $10,000 per scholarship per year).
- Can the S-STEM scholarship be renewed?
Yes. S-STEM Scholarship can be renewed on a yearly basis for up to three years pending funding availability if the student satisfies all renewal criteria. Student must fill an on-line form for renewal each year.
- Can I get another UT Arlington scholarship if I received this scholarship?
Yes. This scholarship does not prevent you from obtaining other scholarships offered by the university and the department. However, the total amount of scholarships you receive cannot exceed your financial need as determined by the FAFSA.
- How might this scholarship affect my other financial aid?
If you receive this scholarship, it will reduce the amount you qualify for other scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study. This is because the total amount of all federal aid cannot exceed the difference between UT Arlington's cost of attendance (COA) and your expected family contribution (EFC). In general, you should try to maximize the amount of scholarships/grants in your financial aid package and reduce the amount of loans (that you have to pay back later) or work-study (for which you have to take time away from study to perform services).
- What do I have to do as a SURGE program student?
Required SURGE activities for each SURGE student include:
Other activities, such as research, internship, attending conferences, working in the Math Clinic, and community services, are optional.
- Bi-weekly MAA UT Arlington Student Chapter lunch meetings
- Monthly mentor-mentee lunch meetings
- Monthly SURGE project student-faculty group lunch meetings
- Career workshop series offered by the University Career Services
- What do I have to do to maintain the S-STEM scholarship?
Each SURGE student must meet the following criteria to maintain the S-STEM scholarship:
- maintaining a cumulative GPA of at least 2.8
- continuing as a full-time student at UT Arlington with a major in mathematics
- making satisfactory progress toward a bachelor's degree as specified by the degree plan
- participating in all required SURGE program activities
- completing a program survey/comment form on the SURGE project each year
- continuing to meet the federal financial aid requirements