McDowell Center ScholarshipsMcDowell Center Scholarship Information
Statement of Purpose and General Information
The Bart Lewis Memorial Scholarship was established by a bequest from the estate of Dr. Bartie Lee Lewis, as specified in his Last Will and Testament. The award(s) is/are intended for undergraduate/graduate students majoring in a Modern Language at the University of Texas at Arlington.
- A minimum of $500 may be awarded to undergraduate and graduate recipients of the scholarship.
- A maximum of $4,000 may be awarded to graduate and undergraduate recipients of the scholarship.
- Full time undergraduate students should have completed minimum of 12 semester credit hours of language courses in the Department of Modern Languages at the University of Texas at Arlington with a minimum overall college GPA of 3.0.
- Full time graduate students are to have completed a minimum of 12 graduate semester hours in a language at UTA with a minimum overall GPA of 3.0
- Fall Deadline: November 15 (to be awarded for Spring)
- Spring Deadline: March 31 (to be awarded for Modern Languages faculty-sponsored summer study abroad courses or for the fall)
Items to Submit
- Completed application form.
- A two-page essay addressing your appreciation for the study of foreign languages and/or your intentions to utilize your knowledge of a foreign language to positively impact our world.
- One (1) letter of recommendation.
- An unofficial copy of your transcript.
- A copy of your Financial Aid Statement.
Send the completed application and the items listed above to the following address:
The Bart Lewis Memorial Scholarship Fund
The Department of Modern Languages
The University of Texas at Arlington
Arlington, TX 76019-0557