Delta Phi Alpha National Honor Society
Candidates for Joining Delta Phi Alpha, UTA Theta Pi Chapter: Please Read Carefully To See If You Qualify.
Delta Phi Alpha is the national Honorary Society for College German Students. Membership is an honor signifying outstanding achievement. You receive an official certificate suitable for framing, an honor cord in the official German colors to wear at graduation, and the official Delta Phi Alpha publication. Students who qualify to join will be honored at the annual Department of Modern Languages Awards Ceremony. Membership can be a positive indicator of your capabilities to prospective employers regardless of your major field of study. Details are provided below.
Qualifications and Procedures
To qualify, candidates must
- Have a minimum of two years of college or university German or their equivalent.
- Transfer students must have already completed at least one semester at UTA prior to the current spring semester.
- Graduate students are an exception.
- Have a minimum average of B+ or its equivalent in German courses.
- Have a minimum cumulative average of B- or its equivalent.
- Express continued interest in the study of German language and literature
To apply, students must
- Download, complete, and submit the application.
- Attend the Delta Phil Alpha ceremony at the Department of Modern Languages Awards Ceremony in the spring.
- Plan to continue German studies at UTA or at another university or college.
Candidates who fulfill all of the above qualifications and agree to comply with Delta Phil Alpha requirements should fill out the application below and give to Dr. Lana Rings at Hammond Hall 230 or 327 before Spring Break.
Upon receiving a formal invitation sometime afterward, candidates should pay dues amounting to $20.00 (without cord), or $30.00 (with cord-one lifetime payment, cash or check). At that time further details about the ceremony will be announced.
Delta Phi Alpha Application
Please download, print, and complete the Delta Phi Alpha Application (PDF) .
Submit the completed application to Sabine Harvey (Hammond Hall 230 or Trimble Hall 210) before Spring Break.