Graduate Teaching Assistantships/Associateships
If you are interested in a two tier teaching apprenticeship during your studies in the MODL Masters Degree program, you should contact Christopher Stewart for French or Catherine Ortiz for Spanish. You may pick up an application in the main MODL office (Hammond Hall 230) and submit the completed application to Becky Rosenboom in the MODL department office (Hammond Hall 230).
You may apply to the program if you are accepted unconditionally or under some circumstances a probationary admission may be eligible to apply as well. Students accepted into the Certificate program or are admitted under a "Special" status are NOT eligible for a Graduate Assistantship or Associateship.
Please consult the graduate catalogue for details about
admission requirements: Graduate
Below is information about MODL options:
Enhanced Graduate Master's Teaching Fellowships • 2013-14
Enhanced GTA Fellowship Packages consist of an enhanced GTA stipend and a full tuition fellowship.
Candidates must meet the minimum requirements.
Eligible candidates will
- Be starting their first semester in a UT Arlington graduate program in Fall 2013.
- Hold one of the GTA stipends funded at the enhanced rate starting in their first semester of enrollment.
- Have a GTA appointment of 50% time.
- Have a GPA of at least 3.0 in their last 60 undergraduate credit hours plus at least a 3.25 GPA in any graduate level credit hours.
- Be unconditionally admitted to their degree program.
- Satisfy English proficiency requirements necessary to hold a graduate teaching assistantship.
- Be enrolled in a minimum of 9 hours in courses related to their programs of work in both long semesters to qualify for and retain their fellowships.
- Perform assigned duties each semester as a teaching assistant.
Please submit your EGTA application by May 1st.
The Department of Modern Languages provides teaching assistantships for students who have not completed 18 graduate hours. Normally, a teaching assistant, GTA I, assists in two courses each semester, for a stipend. GTAs are eligible for in-state tuition.
Once a GTA has accrued 18 graduate hours, he/she can become a Graduate Teaching Assistant II and receive a larger stipend. GTA IIs are also eligible for in-state tuition. The Department has teaching assistantships available for graduate students in French and Spanish.
How to Apply
Please download, complete, and send the GTA application form (PDF) to
The Department of Modern Languages
The University of Texas at Arlington
Arlington, TX 76019-0557