MODL Picture

Minor in Spanish

People with foreign language abilities have a distinct advantage in the career marketplace, and they can use those skills to assist them in varying fields, such as business, medicine, law, etc. Thus, minoring in Spanish is a great way for you to gain a distinguishing, marketable skill while opening your eyes to another culture.

Requirements for a Minor in Spanish

  • SPAN 1442*
  • SPAN 2313
  • SPAN 2314 or 2315
  • 9 hours of 3000 or 4000 level Spanish coursework
    (Generally, native/heritage speakers take 3305, 3312, 33XX, while non-native speakers take 3303, 3314, 33XX.)

* Note: Although SPAN 1441 is not required for the minor, credit for 1441 or an equivalent with a grade of C or above must be received in order to enroll in 1442. Likewise, a C or above is required for each course in the series in order to enroll in the next.

How to Declare Your Spanish Minor

For most College of Liberal Arts majors (Anthropology, Art, Art History, Communication, English, History, Linguistics, Music, Philosophy, Political Science, Sociology, Theatre Arts), no departmental permission is required. Simply send an email request with the subject heading "Spanish Minor Request" in which you indicate your name, student ID#, major, and desired language minor (i.e. Spanish) to, and we will process your request.

For other majors, including those outside the College of Liberal Arts (Business, Education, Engineering, Nursing, Sciences, Social Work, etc…), please download and fill out our Minor Enrollment form, initialing and signing where indicated, then take the form to your major advisor for his signature. Once you and your major advisor have signed the form, please deliver it to the Department of Modern Languages in 230 Hammond Hall.

Image Attribution and copyright information here.