Top 10 Things a Student Needs to Do Before School Starts
1. Take the Texas Higher Education Assessment (THEA)
THEA test scores (or proof of exemption) are not required for Admission, but are required in order to enroll in classes.
For more information:
- To read about the test: UTA Testing Services: Texas Success Initiative (TSI): THEA
- To ask general THEA questions: University Advising Center (telephone: 817.272.3140)
- To schedule a test date: UTA Testing Services (telephone: 817.272.2362)
2. Complete Your Admissions File
Make sure all final transcripts (high school and college) and all other required documents have been sent to the UTA Office of Admissions , First Floor Davis Hall (telephone: 817.272.6287).
3. Read the Catalog
The Undergraduate Catalog is your guide to the University. Read the sections regarding
- Registration and Enrollment
- Tuition, Fees, and Charges
- Financial Aid
- Academic Regulations
- Degree Program Requirements
- Pages pertaining to your major of choice
4. Make Sure You Are Properly Placed
In order to be placed in the correct courses, you must
- Take the Math Placement Test (MPT) and/or Calculus Readiness Test (CRT) in order to be able to take college level math at UTA. It is offered in Room 478 Pickard Hall, 8:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m., Monday-Friday (telephone: 817.272.3261).
- Make sure UTA Testing Services has any AP or CLEP test scores and complete the ‘Petition to Record Credit by Examination’ form. UTA Testing Services, Second Floor Davis Hall (telephone: 817.272.2362).
5. See an Advisor
Meet with your academic advisor to get approval to register.
- Undeclared Students: University Advising Center (telephone: 817.272.3140)
- Pre-majors and Majors: See your academic department
6. Register for Class
Pick the days and times for your classes and register yourself in classes online by logging into the MyMav system. Don’t forget to order a parking pass when you register if you will need one.
7. Pay Your Tuition
Verify your financial aid (if you applied and qualified) and pay your bill
- Financial Aid Office , Second Floor Davis Hall (telephone: 817.272.3561)
- Bursar’s Office, First Floor Davis Hall or the University Center (telephone: 817.272.2172)
8. Identify Yourself
Get your Student ID in the Mav Express Office , University Center, 300 W First Street (telephone: 817.272.2645).
9. Buy Your Textbooks
Take a copy of your class schedule to the UTA Bookstore , 400 S Pecan Street (telephone: 817.272.2785), and they can help you select the right books. You can buy your books online if you prefer.
10. Activate Your UTA E-mail Account
All students are automatically assigned a UTA e-mail account. All official communications are sent to this address, whether or not you check it!
Instructions available here: Student MavMail Home .