The Biomaterials Laboratory is focused on developing both soft and hard bioactive biomaterials for applications ranging from drug delivery, tissue engineering, structural and orthopedic applications. Recent projects have focused on:
- Development of Hydroxyapatite reinforced poly ethylene composites for structural applications
- Development of Hydroxyapatite coated substrates by electrophoretic deposition for orthopedic applications
- Development of Scaffolds of Poly L-Lactic acid with microchannels using Hot Embossing techniques for drug delivery applications
- Development of PLLA-PGA blends using microwave methods
- Microwave sythesis of Poly L-Lactic acid
- Development of Bioglass-Hydroxyapatite composites for orthopedic and tissue engineering applications
- Development of 3D interconnected PLLA=PVA scaffolds for applications that include drug delivery and tissue engineering
- Pranesh B. Aswath, Ph.D. Professor and Associate Chair
- Kytai Nguyen Ph.D. (Assoc. Prof. Bioengineering)
- Liping Tang Ph.D. (Asst. Professor, Bioengineering)
- Panayotis Shiakolas Ph.D. (Assoc. Prof. Mechanical Engineering)
FundingCenter for Convergent Biotechnology Advanaced Technology Program (THECB)
- Ms. Hande Demirkiran (Ph. D.)
- Mr. Mayur Uttarwar (M.S.)
Alumni of Group Hot Embossed PLLA with Microchannels
- Dr. Anurag Pandey (Chemica Corp)
- Mr. Eric Jan (Independent Business)
- Mr. Sazzadur Rahaman (U. Nevada-Reno)
- High speed homogenized for colloidal processing
- High temperature furnaces for sintering bioceramics.
- Ball mills to develop powders of biocermaics.
- 2.4 GHz Microwave for synthesis.
- Freeze dry system (Homebuilt)
- MAHR Perthometer stylus profilometer
- Leco Microhardness tester
- Perkin Elmer DSC-7, TGA-7 Thermal analysis system.
- Steromciroscope with high resolution camera.
- Multi-technique characterization at MSE Central Characterization.
- Nanotopography: Cellular Response to Nanostructured Materials, Rammohan Kriparamanan, Pranesh Aswath, Anhong Zhou, Liping Tang and Kytai Nguyen, Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 6, 1905-1919 (2006).
- Physical and Mechanical Behavior of Hot rolled HDPE/HA composites, Anurag Pandey, Eric Jan and Pranesh Aswath, Journal of Materials Science 41(11), 3369-3376 (2006).
- Microwave synthesis of Poly L-Lactic Acid and Polyglycolic Acid Blends, Anurag Pandey, Girish C. Pandey and Pranesh Aswath, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine (2006) (in press).
- Silver/Hydroxyapatite Composite Coatings by Occlusion Electrodeposition Technique, Sazzadur Rahaman, Pranesh Aswath and Krishnan Rajeshwar, Journal of Materials Science (2006) (in review).
- Hot Embossing of Poly L-Lactic Acid Substrates for Biomedical Applications, Anurag Pandey, Sunil Belligondu, Panayotis Shiakolas, and Pranesh Aswath, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research-Applied Biomaterials (2006) (in review)
- Role of mineralizers on the hexacelsian to celsian transformation in the barium aluminosilicate (BAS ) system, K.T. Lee and P,B. Aswath, Mater. Sci. & Engr A 352(1-2) 1-7 (2003).