"Be the change you want to see in the world."
BE A MULTICULTURAL MAVERICK!
Looking for a unique way to get involved on campus? We are seeking energetic and creative students excited about designing activities that celebrate diversity at UT Arlington. The Multicultural Mavericks is a program designed to allow students to have a voice in shaping the heritage months on campus.
Specifically, the Multicultural Mavericks are a team of students who help create, plan, and implement:
- Hispanic Heritage Month (Sept 15 – October 15)
- Asian Heritage Month (November)
- Black History Month (February)
- Interested in Women’s History Month? Please refer to Women in Leadership
An exciting opportunity awaits you!
- All UT Arlington students are welcome. The Multicultural Mavericks are made up of a diverse group of students, and we welcome all those excited about the opportunity!
- Committee members work together to brainstorm and implement ideas for heritage month events including social, cultural, educational, and philanthropic activities.
- Members will work together to create and plan heritage month celebrations for campus. You may also elect to participate in additional sub-committees for special flagship events (e.g. Carnaval for Hispanic Heritage Month; One Night in Asia talent show for Asian Heritage Month, and the Black Leadership Institute for Black History Month).
- Planning meetings are held from September through February.
- Members are required to attend at least 5 events per semester. These can be chosen from a variety of activities including general body meetings, subcommittee meetings, and/or volunteering to assist at heritage month events. Exact calendar will be discussed at Member Retreat.
- Meet new friends and have fun
- Gain valuable leadership experience
- Connect with campus resources and network with other student leaders, faculty and staff
- Bolster self confidence
- Earn official Multicultural Mavericks apparel
- Help to positively contribute to celebrating UT Arlington diversity
Submit your application by Monday, Sept. 5th, 2016 to join the Multicultural Mavs cohort for fall 2016! All UTA students are eligible. Are you graduating in fall 2016? Don’t worry! You are also eligible to apply. Cost of participation is free!
Email David.email@example.com with questions. Students are also welcome to stop by our office in the lower level University Center to speak with a member of the Multicultural Mavericks Executive Board. The Board consists of three talented student leaders who oversee each of the three planning committees. We look forward to meeting you!
Hispanic Heritage Month 2016
Check out the details of our two events for the Hispanic Heritage Month:
- El Día de la Independencia
Thursday, September 15, 4 – 5:30 p.m., UC Palo Duro
- Fridal de Frida by Teatro Flor Candela
Thursday, September 29, 6:30 – 8 p.m., UC Rosebud