ARLINGTON - The University of Texas at Arlington's Department of Theatre Arts presents Theatrefest, the annual spring showcase of plays, April 22-26. Theatrefest features a wide range of one-act plays directed by theater arts majors, as well as the full-length drama, "A Lie of the Mind."
"A Lie of the Mind" by Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Sam Shepard will be performed at 8 p.m. Thursday, April 23, and Saturday, April 25, and at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, April 26. The story is set in the gritty American West and alternates between two families, after a severe incident of spousal abuse leaves all their lives altered. Associate Professor Joe Chapa directed the play.
The series of one-act plays will be presented at:
- 8 p.m. Wednesday, April 22
- 8 p.m. Friday, April 24
- 2:30 p.m. Saturday, April 25
The plays are:
- "Sing to Me through Open Windows" by Arthur Kopit, a poignant drama about a boy, a magician, and a diabolical clown, directed by Bradford Hutson.
- "Variations on the Death of Trotsky" by David Ives, a comedy about the Russian revolutionary, directed by Nicolas Irion.
- "The Meeting" by Jeff Stetson, which depicts an imagined meeting between Malcolm X and Dr. Martin King Jr., directed by Timothy Brown
- "The Women of Lockerbie" by Deborah Brevoort, which examines distraught Scottish mother who lost her son in the crash of Pan Am 103,s directed by Jason Villarreal
- "Pillow Talk" by Peter Tolan, a comedy about two heterosexual men who must share sleeping accommodations for one night, is directed by Melissa Kendall.
The acting ensemble includes Department of Theatre Arts majors Malik Ali, Rachael Blizzard, Andras Bodolai, Katie Butler, Robbie Clark, Lyssa Dennis and Jill Deramus. Also in the ensemble are Paul Engle, Tonya Free, Porter Gandy, Nick Gould, William Haynes, Erika Hernandez, Casey Hines, Stephen Howell, Tyson Jones, Krystal Love, Shelley Ohmes, Jackie Pickard, Alan Pollard, David Ray, Nikki Singer and Joshua Smith.
Theatrefest, the final offering of the 2008-09 season, will be presented in the Studio Theatre in the Fine Arts Building, 700 Greek Row Drive. Reservations are recommended. General admission is $10; tickets are $7 for senior citizens, student with ID and UT Arlington faculty and staff. Call the Department of Theatre Arts box office, 817-272-2669, for reservations or information about group rates. Contact Natalie Gaupp at email@example.com or 817-272-5722 for information about the production.
The University of Texas at Arlington is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.