ARLINGTON - The University of Texas at Arlington's Department of Theatre Arts will present "State of the Art," a showcase of staged readings from new plays written, directed and performed by students. The readings begin at 11 a.m. Thursday, July 30, in Room 143 of the Fine Arts Building, 700 Greek Row Drive.
The new plays were written by students of this summer's playwriting course. The plays will be directed and performed by students of the summer theater activities course.
The staged readings begin at 11 a.m. with:
- "Mercedes' Baby" by Sarah Butler, with an edgy plot, involving an exotic dancer who wishes to change her life and escape her past;
- "Wash Away the Day" by Kara Howell, a tale of two people trapped by the memories of loved ones from long ago, learning how to love once again;
- "The Gedanken Experiment" by Rand Ringgenberg , an experimental drama involving characters representing the seven deadly sins; and
- "Leave No Marks" by Natalie Gaupp, a story focused on a young couple's imminent separation and one partner's harrowing instability.
The readings resume at 2:30 p.m. with:
- "Morrison" by Nick Irion, a surreal study of political intrigue and heartbreaking tragedy; and
- "All Tomorrow's Parties by The Velvet Underground" by Bryan Kocurek, a glimpse into the lives of young people discovering who they really are, taking cues from the music and the people that they love most.
The student actors include Kasha Adams, Clare Boyd, Katie Butler, Felicia Choyce, Nicholas Cormier III, Porter Gandy, Casey Hines, Stephen T. Howell, Nick Irion, Ashley E. Oringderff, David Ray, Nikki Singer, Hakeem Smith, James Wheat, Tiffany Whitley and Jared Wilson. Orion will direct one play and Gaupp will direct the others.
Admission is free and reservations are not required. Due to adult content and adult language in many of the plays, the performance is recommended for mature audiences only. Contact Natalie Gaupp at 817-272-5722 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The University of Texas at Arlington is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.